Alter this Dog House - Ideas?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MicroFarmMom, Feb 3, 2011.

1. MicroFarmMom

MicroFarmMom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2011
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/ASPCA-Suncast-Deluxe-Dog-House-Dogs/10449973

I
    figure I can cut out the window and line with chicken wire. And then make something that can easily cover it at night or during rain? It's hot here in texas so it's definatly going to need some kind of ventilation.
    I can build out from it a simple run I think. But Im at a loss as to whether this is going to be tall enough for them to roost? And how would I go about nesting spot?
    Thanks so much for everyone's help! Yall are a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate it!

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Do they have a bigger version? You could probably squeeze 2 in but that would be about it. Don't use chicken wire, use hardware cloth (unless your run is secure). Predators can rip right through it. You could use a jigsaw to cut vent holes and cover with vent covers. You could add an outside nestbox they could access through the window. Not very much room for roosting if you get full sized chickens...

3. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    On the website it says its very flimsey and would blow away with wind.Maybe rethink this. [​IMG]

4. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Bit small......can you possibly build a bigger one?

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Okay, you're considering this for your stealth coop in a covenanted neighborhood that doesn't allow chickens. You have 4 foot chainlink fencing around the yard.

This first thought I had was that a plastic dog house is going to be very easy for a raccoon or dog to rip open. Second thought was weather. Third thought was that it's mighty small for even just 2 hens.

I can pull one of those apart barehanded, and predators are a lot stronger than I am. I lived in downtown Austin and between the neighbor's dogs and the raccoons, possums, rats, etc. we ended up building Ft. Knox to keep the hens safe.

Then there was the freaky TX weather, you never know from one minute to the next!

Hens need a fair amount of room, many figure 4 sq. feet per bird in the coop and 10 sq. feet each in the run. You're probably going to need a run to keep the chickens home. I don't go by the run recommendations, but I do respect the coop space requirements.

In your situation, I'd be checking Craig's List for a larger, sturdier dog house or bunny hutch type cage. Chicken wire is weak, so relace any with hardware cloth. Once I found something, I'd raise it in the air and make a ramp for the hens to go up and down. Then I'd put it somewhere where the neighbors and drive-by HOA can't see it and put a 10' x 10' chain link dog kennel around it. Cover the top and any gaps with more wire. Then work even more on concealing it!

I have to say though, that it's a lot of work and expense for 2 hens that you will probably be told to get rid of after 10 months or so when they get noisy. [​IMG]

Re: your other thread? I liked the greenhouse idea in terms of fitting in with the neighborhood structures. I also wondered if you could put in a subterranean coop! [​IMG] Then you could keep them in until after all the racket from laying was over and the neighbors gone for the day!

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Due to its size, it would be really tough to modify to accomodate a nest box. A roost is somewhat doable, maybe at 16 or 17 inches if you have smallish breeds. Since it's just a bit over 6 sq. ft total, two birds would really be the max (wouldn't be able to fit more than that on a roost anyway). I think your money could be much better spent elsewhere, even if that means finding a wooden dog house on CL. The wooden dog houses are easier to mount exterior nest boxes to, easy to cut windows/ventilation into, and easy to cut/hinge access panels.

7. MicroFarmMom

Feb 2, 2011
    So here is my idea - I figure if I get silkies - they will look from afar (they would really have to trespass or use binoculars to get a good look from the street as I have a large yard. But I figure they will look like puppies almost if I keep a doghouse appearance to it. All of my neighbors are totally okay with my having them. Their dogs are much louder than a chicken could ever be.
    So the plastic one will not work for pretty good reasons. But I did talk to my local feed store who has TONS of wood pallets - do you think I could build something out of the pallets?

8. MicroFarmMom

Feb 2, 2011
    And what do you mean by greenhouse? How could I go about that??

9. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    Grab all the pallets you can get from the feed store. You can make a dandy coop with pallets.

10. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    Quote:=========
    Ooooh.... I like the subterranean coop idea. How is that possible? Anyone ever actually done that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by