Alternating between nests

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tinakevin, Feb 21, 2017.

1. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    Hi all. I have 2 broody hens and 2 nests but they seem to be alternating between the nests. They both have only 2 eggs because they are bantams and I really didn't want chicks this time of year. Do you think it's ok for them to alternate or should I put one in a dog crate and leave the other. They have 3 nest boxes and they are in the coop with other hens

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    If you move one or both without doing it right---they might quit the nest. I have never had any luck when 2 hens that share the same nest but have when they are in 2 different nest some years backs even though they switch. If you do not want chicks---if they are just starting I would break them. If they have been on the nest for several days---I hope you marked the eggs when they started so fresh layed eggs can be removed daily---to avoid a staggered hatch. Personally I move ALL my broody hens to a private hatching pen so They are not bothered by others, I do not have to mark the eggs or look under them daily. I moved 72 in 2015 alone. All hatched great.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  3. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    I also have a standard Cochin sitting on 8 eggs. I set them all on the same day. I did candle the eggs tonight and out of the 12 eggs I set. 6 look good, I'm not sure about a couple because of color and a couple don't look viable but since it's only day 4 I will give it some more time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by