alternative heat sources?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jessicam320, Feb 21, 2013.

1. jessicam320

jessicam320 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    well I ran into a problem. I have 15 chicks and to ducklings that are 4 weeks old almost fully feathered just fluffy necks. they are out in the coop with the adult poultry in a brooding corner. it has been raining snowing in freezing all night and all day. there is a leak in the cord somewhere causing it to short out, so until it dries out its not gonna work. when I went to check them this morning and saw the light out I almost freaked because I did not hear them cheeping at all!but when I lifted the top they got up and started cheepn and seemed fine . I'm betting they went most of the night without a light and a majority of today. do you think they could make it in the twenty's with just huddling? or do you have any alternative heating methods you could share? any advice is appreciated I'm all ears :)

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    You should never use a cord with a short you can burn down your whole coop. The 20's is a bit cold for young chicks.

3. jessicam320

Mar 12, 2012
    :) thanks that's why I'm needing alternative methods.I had an idea ...Wat bout those hand warmer packs. I got a few of them left from hunting. N e one ever had succes sticking those under the straw or could they cause a fire or burn the chicks.

4. happybooker1

happybooker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    I would think the hand-warmer packs would be fine. What about heating pads? Do you have any of those?

Also try dry rice tied in old socks. You can heat them in the microwave, but they won't hold heat very long. Maybe an hour at most. Any chance on bringing the chicks all inside for a few days?

5. jessicam320

Mar 12, 2012
    well I don't got heating pad but still need a new extension cord if I did if it's the electric kind you mean . I ought to kick my DHs but for leaving my cord out to weather:-( I like the rice idea. I can use bags of rice for the rest of the day at least.nah I don't really got the room for that many babies anymore...1 of my rabbits kindled above ground in the colony and they came inside lol. Thanks for ur input, I found it useful:)

6. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

i have a 4 week old chick running around the coop by herself, no heat in the rain and mud, it was raised by a mum who has now left her., she is doing fine.

7. jessicam320

Mar 12, 2012
    that's comforting to know . Mine looked like they were doin fine they weren't huddleing like I thought they would. I was really Suprised they went almost all day without a light n 32 degrees. Tough lil boogers :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by