Alternative ideas to getting chicks into coop at night?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by krjwaj, Jul 18, 2008.

1. krjwaj

krjwaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Apex, NC
    I read on this forum about having the light on in the coop as a way to lure the chicks in at night. How long does it take to get them into the routine? And, does anyone have other suggestions? Its only been a week, they go down the stairs in the morning, but don't want to/don't understsnd to go up the stairs at night. tia

2. Barnrat

Barnrat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    Upstate NY
    How old are they? I haven't had to do anything special with my 6-week pullets; they put themselves to bed once the sun goes down. I just wait until I see that they are all in and then I go out and close the coop.

3. krjwaj

krjwaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Apex, NC
    They are about 5 weeks tomorrow. Tonight we tried putting a treat in the hutch, and then DD crawled in and placed each on at the top of the stairs so they get the idea of : getting dark out, time for treat, up the stairs.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Get them in the habit of hearing you, let's say, bang a spoon on a bowl to mean that you got a treat. If you can train them to that, then that's how you can get them in at night.
    On the nights I work, I have to go out earlier and give them their treat in the coop so I can lock them in.

5. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    Quote:that's exactly what I do they are 9 wks and have been doing that for 2 wks now I spent 3 days trying to "get" them in.
    And didn't get to them one night till late and they were all in bed already.

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Mine have always put themselves to bed if they are out late enough (they don't get out all day, every day because of our dogs). I never had to train them, they just knew.

Edited to add: Ours don't roam far from the coop at all though, we only have a fenced backyard for them to explore. Don't know what would happen if they had more room.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2008
  7. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Mine go up if it gets dark enough or if i want them up earlier I say "here chick chick chick" and pour some feed in their metal pan so they here it and come running.

8. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Some of my golden comets (9 wks old) come in the moment they hear me refreshing the water and feed in the evening. I also discovered by accident, while scraping the platforms and roosts that most of the others want to know what I'm scratching up for them. Plus the last bird, usually my alpha girl comes in once her flock is gone to the coop. This scratching sound is very interesting to them and I bet if you put treats alongside the noise they'd be in stat! Eventually mine realized that at sunset we were going in and occasionally I find them in the coop waiting. This is also when I give them some 'play time' and they enjoy that, I've had them since they were less than 12 hours old. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  9. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    I put my older ones in their coop in April and they were in it for a week before I let them out because it was still cold...After that they just went in at dusk...Only one I've had to force in recently is one of the roos who will just stand in front of the hatch....Guess he thinks he has to stay out and watch for predators. Then the second batch only stayed in theirs for two days before letting them out and they also go in a little later than the first.

10. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    I agree with every one , locking them in for a couple days will teach them where home is, but teaching them to come to a sound /routine will also do it too. You just have to choose which is easier for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by