Alternative materials

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Gville_Wellies, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Gville_Wellies

Gville_Wellies Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2010
  2. VI KING RANCH

VI KING RANCH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Campbell River
    Quote:I have a oil drum coop...will post pics within next couple days [​IMG]

3. Gville_Wellies

Gville_Wellies Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2010
    Sounds cool, I'll look forward to the pics:)

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    We use pallets and misc scrap wood picked up from a fence company, an envelope company and a pallet making company. All free. The pallets are measured and then a layout evolves. We use a sawsall, lots of screws and a skillsaw.

I'm always scouting on trashdays for goodies. Picked up a 2 x 3 door complete with hinges and slide bolt--not sure how to use it yet. [​IMG]

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I think your average garbage can is too small to make a decent coop, especially standing upright, like in those plans. I'd build a coop out of pallets, an old shed or an old play house before I'd use a garbage can.

I've also seen A-frames made out of old swing sets. My favorite was the trampoline frame that had an over-turned satellite dish on top, for the roof. My new favorites are the coops made out of old travel trailers, cars and buses. [​IMG]

I used an old dog house I had at one point, for a few extra chickens. My dog kennels have been used for a layer flock and as a pen to grow meat chickens. I've got 100' of panels and half a dozen gates that I bought at a good price from a guy that was getting rid of them. I've used them for dogs, puppies, cats, rabbits and chickens.

6. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    Not saying it couldn't work - but the article doesn't show pictures, and I'd be hesitant about anything being too secure when the parts list includes chicken wire and duct tape. [​IMG]

I'm all for recycling/reusing materials. Maybe I could do this with an old barrel I have, since it never made it to rain barrel stage. I'd like to see some pictures.

7. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
  8. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    Quote:I think this one's pretty neat! Probably something someone could easily make at home on the cheap without spending the $$$ on this one.

9. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
  10. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Ia that for them to sleep in...? [​IMG] Something would get them very easy.

Happy-Hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by