Alternative to Chicken Wire for Chicken Tractor

mml373

Chirping
Aug 3, 2019
I am finishing a PVC chicken tractor and am quite pleased except for the fact that chicken wire leaves lots of sharp points. (I am using zip ties and there are still areas where cut wire ends can poke people and chickens).

I love PVC construction because it is light and easily transported, but wonder if there are alternatives to chicken wire that will install better than the zip tie method.

Thanks in advance for helpful replies.

Last edited:
I am finishing a PVC chicken tracotr and am quite please except for the fact that there is no neat installation of chicken wire for these (I am using zip ties and there are still areas where cut wire ends can poke people and chickens).

I love PVC construction because it is light and easily transported, but wonder if there are alternatives to chicken wire that will install better than the zip tie method.

Thanks in advance for helpful replies.

Half-inch hardware cloth is superior because it's more predator-resistant.

Unfortunately, all wire has wire ends after cutting. :(

Use hardware cloth to protect your chickens better, and put duct tape along the cut edges of the wire so it won't scratch anybody. If you fold the length of duct tape over the wire edges and onto itself so the wire edge is sandwiched between the two sides of tape, the tape will stick to itself and to the wire securely and won't come off. Duct tape is durable, especially in wet environments, and won't fall apart or degrade like other kinds of tape.

Use hardware cloth to protect your chickens better, and put duct tape along the cut edges of the wire so it won't scratch anybody. If you fold the length of duct tape over the wire edges and onto itself so the wire edge is sandwiched between the two sides of tape, the tape will stick to itself and to the wire securely and won't come off. Duct tape is durable, especially in wet environments, and won't fall apart or degrade like other kinds of tape.

That's a great idea!

Great info about duct tape!!! Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the hardware cloth for the next version I build. Probably going to put 2-3 of these out on my lawn to reduce the need for mowing, hahaha. Will move them through the lawn daily over the course of 7-10 days, per rotation cycle.

Solid technique theory and might work well....
....if it's real duct tape and not the cute and cheap imitations that are everywhere.

I bend over the sharpies on HC.
full

Back
Top Bottom