1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Alternative To Current Watering For Our Flock (Chickens & Turkeys)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by smoknz28, Feb 19, 2014.

1. smoknz28

smoknz28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2012
    Central Virginia, USA
    We are looking for an alternative to our current watering system....which is the good ole simple 5-gallon plastic water container on the floor for our chickens to drink from. Problem is...they scratch straw in it...sometimes their droppings get in it....and we are constantly cleaning it. A lot of work.

I recently stumbled upon the Auto Water Kit. I have not looked at any others so there may be a better watering system you all have had luck with that you wouldn't mind sharing your experiences with.

Thank you.

We have 24 chickens and 2 turkeys.

http://autowaterkit.com

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Simplest thing to do is to put it up on a concrete block. For the bantams I just put another block next to it so they can stand up there to drink.

3. smoknz28

Mar 7, 2012
    Central Virginia, USA

I'm sorry, I do have the water raised up on 2x4 blocks...maybe it's not high enough, but I'm still ready for another method as they can fly on top of the water container and get droppings in the water.

Thank you though.

Thanks. As I look at that system, I feel that the cups would be better suited over the nipples alone. If you look at the other water system I linked, it comes with everything as well as the one you linked to however, the one you linked has nipples rather than the cups and costs $86. The one I linked to is complete as well, comes with the cups and is less expensive at $69.95.

Overall so far, I'm really leaning towards the one I linked to. I feel there will also be less of a learning curve for them as it comes with cups rather than only nipples.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Sounds like you've hit on a solution, but back to how to keep chickens from pooping in the water if you use a container. Raising it up, of course, but to stop them from getting on top and pooping in it, hang something over it. Maybe a milk jug with some sand in it so the wind doesn't swing it too much.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas

I already like your granddaughter!!! :thumbsup

That is the way to do a cost comparison. Look at delivered costs, not the cost of one item unshipped. When I buy a car I don't care what the cost of the car is. I want to know the amount that needs to go on the check. That balances out the delivery costs, shipping costs, dealer preps, add-ons and everything else. It also drives the salesman batty.

6. smoknz28

Mar 7, 2012
    Central Virginia, USA

Ah yes... :)

Thank you.

Well, I would almost believe that you didn't mean to use all caps...however, when you also added your text to be bold...to me...you meant to shout in order to prove your point. :p

Hmmm.... good point on the pricing. I don't feel I need more than two outlets for drinking. I have a total of 24 birds with not all of them obviously not drinking at the same time. I do prefer the cups over the nipples still. I just feel there is so much less of a learning curve and I don't have an issue cleaning two cups once every 3-4 days. I wonder if the place you refer to can or will sell the cups instead? Or maybe I just purchase the cups from the other place...hmm... With the nipples, I would think you'd still have some water being dropped on the floor...I know it wouldn't be much...but still. With the cups, I don't see there being any spilled water except from their beaks, which will happen in either case.

Decisions....

7. chad-o

chad-o Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    The reason I use the bold is my eyesight is failing it just makes it easier to see my mistakes!! LOL
    They handle a full line of products I have found them to be the most accommodating company I have ever dealt with. Service and satisfaction seem to be their priority. I would be willing bet that they would make the change to cups if you ask them. I almost forgot they recommend 6 to 8 birds per nipple I assume the same for cups.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  8. smoknz28

Mar 7, 2012
    Central Virginia, USA

Doh! ;-)

I'll give them a call today to further discuss.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    To: OP. Can you hang your waterer? That might solve the problem, as when they fly up to perch on it, they'll meet the chain or what ever it is hanging from. also, super easy to change the height. Re: all caps or high lighting, or underlining, or changing the font. I do one or more when trying to direct the reader to the main point of my post, or inviting response. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to think I was yelling... or in any other way being rude. I do hope that those of you who have a certain mind set about the acceptable way to type a post will allow for some individualized ways for those of us who may not be on the same page to express ourselves. I find it difficult to read red text, but will not tell any poster not to use red text!

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I agree with Ridgerunner- in the past I have taken a chain and hung it from the ceiling attached to the handle of the waterer. So the waterer isn't actually hanging but has a chain as if it is hanging. That kept them from perching on it.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by