Alternative to medicated chick starter?

mirandaleecon

Songster
6 Years
Aug 29, 2014
Panama City, FL
What is the best alternative to medicated chick starter? In the past, I have used game bird feed but I'm not sure that is the best. It's nearly impossible to find a good source of non-medicated chick starter here. It's usually sold in 5lb bags for more than the 50lb medicated bags cost. Seems crazy that it would cost more for something to not be medicated...

I started my chicks/ducks/geese (got them all at the same time as 1 and 2 day olds) with game bird starter. Mainly because I was not sure if the chicks were vaccinated or not. The medicated feed would have nullified cocci vaccinations and it was better for the waterfowl. One type of feed made it more convenient. I also gave them electrolytes in their water mixed fresh every day for 3 days for a boost in vitamins.

For the right protein content your looking at turkey/pheasant grower or finisher. The problem is they come in pellet form. The starter is crumble but think the protein is up around 27% which is a bit high for chicken.

What's the reason for not using the medicated? I don't use it myself but also have no problem getting unmedicated chick starter in 50lb bags. It is about a dollar less than medicated. Most people use medicated for chicks so you might as well too since it's your only readily available bulk product.

I usually use Flock Raiser, 20% protein, good for all ages. If I needed amprolium medicated feed, I would absolutely use it. If fifty pounds at a time will get too old for a very small number of chicks, the buy what's available in smaller bags. Do check the date on the bag, so you aren't buying old stuff. Mary

I use all-in-one, similar to grower or All Flock, Flock Raiser, etc. Everyone gets that here, from new chicks to roosters to laying hens to the single elderly drake we still have wandering around.

What is the best alternative to medicated chick starter? In the past, I have used game bird feed but I'm not sure that is the best. It's nearly impossible to find a good source of non-medicated chick starter here. It's usually sold in 5lb bags for more than the 50lb medicated bags cost. Seems crazy that it would cost more for something to not be medicated...
There should be a Multi-flock product available which is about 20 - 22% protein. Any other stores within a reasonable drive? IMO, it's not acceptable that feed stores don't offer an other option. I've had plenty of "discussions" with mis-informed store employees who insist that chicks MUST have medicated feed, and they'll die if they don't get it. Luckily, there was a multi-flock product available. Over the last year, they have started stocking un-medicated chick starter. But, be sure to check your dates. Especially, this time of year, you're apt to find that starter in stores who serve smaller communities is outdated.

I've used Dumor Chick Starter (24% protein), which I've gotten at Tractor Supply. I suspect they only carry it in the springtime.

I've also had very good luck with Purina Flock Raiser (20% protein). I use the crumbles for chicks, and the pellets for juveniles and adults (males and females). If your local feed store carries Purina products they should be able to order it.

Thank you for all the responses! The reason I don't want to use medicated is because I don't believe you should medicate just as a preventative. I've never had any illness in my chicks so it doesn't seem necessary...
There are a whole bunch of feed stores around here but they are never consistent with what they stock. And I'm in an area where the "all natural" movement hasn't even crossed their minds. So people just get what's available and don't question it.
Looks like I won't need much after all, all my chicks are pretty much sold.
1f917.png

Back
Top Bottom