Alternative to wood shavings?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mooSa, Oct 11, 2009.

1. mooSa

mooSa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    I have a problem with my chicks. They just keep making a mess in the waterers and feeders by moving the wood shavings around. I would like to have theirt water and food clean at all times. What are some alternatives to wood shavings? or should i put plastic or somthing over the wood shavings?

2. Burbs

Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    South East Idaho
    Quote:Plastic will cause splayed legs. It is way too slippery. Try raising the feeders and water off of the ground with bricks. It won't eliminate the shavings but it will cut it down considerably.

3. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Blah blah blah evil shavings blah blah never use them blah blah

You want pelleted bedding, thats what you want. You can use the stuff for horses or small pets. All of it is free of cedar. dont bother with the paper pellets for cats and rodents- it just wicks water and makes a mess like the other.

I'd go into detail on all the benefits of pellets... but I say it all the time and its tedious.

The truth is theres just nothing better than pellets- least of all, shavings.

Yeah see, you can raise the waterer and try to avoid the mess, but the truth still remains that water and waste and stuff ends up in the shavings, and then the shavings just never dry out. They get stinky and you have to change them, and its just a big putrid mess. You just dont have that trouble with pellets. They never stay wet- they just absorb the water and dry back out as sawdust.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Yes much better just to raise the feeders/waterers just a bit with a brick or square of wood. I used squares of 1 inch thick wood so it was easy to adjust it up just a little as they grew. They'll still get a little stuff in there but it makes a big difference.

5. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    I use newspaper in a nice big box and am sure to change it daily. It works pretty good. You may also have to change their water twice a day to keep it as clean as you like. They will always find a way to make a mess. lol- little stinkers

6. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Oh yeah and plenty of layers of newspaper.

7. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:Plastic will cause splayed legs. It is way too slippery. Try raising the feeders and water off of the ground with bricks. It won't eliminate the shavings but it will cut it down considerably.

I agree.

8. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    I think some people just but down paper towels over it. That's what I think I'll be doing.

9. mooSa

mooSa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    i guess ill have to raise them more

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Raising the feeder/waterer has worked for me.

I used shavings the first time I brooded and they threw them out and they stuck to my socks. Eh.
    Now I'm brooding on pellets and when they throw them out they kinda hurt to step on! No better.

But I do think pellets smell better than shavings and that's what I prefer in the adult coop, so that's what I'm using.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by