Alternatives to DE?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by stephhassler, Aug 8, 2009.

1. stephhassler

stephhassler Songster

Jan 30, 2009
    Eastern Iowa
    It's about 100 degrees here today, so I'm not sure why I'm planning for winter . . . wishful thinking perhaps. Anyway, I have increased the size of my flock 3-fold and I'm worried amonia will build up in the coop this winter. Called my feed supply store and they do not carry DE. He can get me some other stuff, I haven't seen it yet, he said it was a type of bacteria that prevents amonia. I asked him to get me a bag $30 for 20 lbs. I probably should wait until I see the bag and get more specific info. But before I do, has anyone heard of this type of treatment? Anyone using it, and is it comparable to DE?

2. cgmccary

cgmccary Songster

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Lime (unhydrated), either the dolomitic or limestone variety, is good for odors. I don't use DE; it is all hype.

3. annek

annek Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    I use Sweet PDZ, it is used for ammonia in horse stalls and works great to dry out the poop and keep the odors down. Perfectly safe for chickens too, and you. If you can't find that I think Stall Dri will work too and that is carried by TSC. It is around 14.00 for a 20 lb bag.

4. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:I'll be the first to contradict that statement. DE WORKS WONDERS. The chicken poo is almost entirely dried out and odorless when we've sprinkled DE into the bedding in the coop and mixed some in with their food.

You could also try the removable poop tray. It's literally a screen or tray that sits underneath where your birds roost at night. After a week or so when it fills up, you pull it out and dispose of it how you will. It's great if you compost!

5. stephhassler

stephhassler Songster

Jan 30, 2009
    Eastern Iowa
    Also should have noted that none of the stores around here carry Stall-dri. My only option is lime - and I thought lime was risky because it can hurt the hens feet?

6. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Lime is fine if you don't get the wrong kind. I use both DE and lime. I buy the pelleted because (1) I can never remember which kind is bad, but know pelleted is ok, and (2) it's not dusty to toss around. I have never found sweet PDZ or Stall-Dri at my TSC or either of my feed stores.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2009
  7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Great info. link on ventilation!!! We would have done it all wrong...we'd been thinking low vent. during cold weather (hot air rises after all)...

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Can you use the lime right inside the chicken coop? or just in the run..

10. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:I'll be the first to contradict that statement. DE WORKS WONDERS. The chicken poo is almost entirely dried out and odorless when we've sprinkled DE into the bedding in the coop and mixed some in with their food.

You could also try the removable poop tray. It's literally a screen or tray that sits underneath where your birds roost at night. After a week or so when it fills up, you pull it out and dispose of it how you will. It's great if you compost!

I agree! Not sure about odor since we have none, lol It prevents bugs, worms chickens and is fun to play with in your hand! [​IMG]
    I love DE but i do hate it for mites cause it dont kill those suckers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: