1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

alternatives to hatching in egg cartons?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fowlwoman1, Jul 24, 2008.

1. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    I like the fact that hatching in a carton is cleaner in the bator, but I'm afraid for the chicks that pip from the side or bottom. any ideas?

2. hwerner

hwerner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    Independence, KS
    I like to put a piece of first aid gauze under the eggs a few days prior to hatching. The eggs are all directly on the mesh in incubator to avoid possible problems of chick hatching like you said from side or bottom. The gauze absorbs and is pretty clean for the bator also.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I cut the bottom of the carton out, that way if the chick pips on the bottom it can still breath. It also provides air cirulation.

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I use rings cut from either papertowel rolls or t-paper rolls-about 1/2 inch or so.
    [​IMG]

5. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I also cut the bottoms out of the egg cartons. I have not had a problem yet with chicks hatching on the wrong end. I just had two this morning pip in the small end and are successfully out now. I also had one pip very low in the carton and still make it out.

6. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    I cut out the indented sides so air could circulate around the eggs. It left the carton with 'V' shaped cups. I had one pip near the side and one that pipped at the bottom. Both hatched just fine.

I don't have a great pic of the carton but you can sort of see what I mean with the emty cup on the top left corner. I cut out the three indented sides with a razor blade...very carefully.

[​IMG]

Found another picture:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  7. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Look at that baby zip!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by