Alternatives to heat lamps?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Black Feather, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    After reading the thread about the barn burning down and the heat lamps potentially being the cause, I got to thinking (yes, I do this once in a while [​IMG] ) what alternatives are there to using heat lamps to keep our critters warm that isn't going to break the bank?

Part of my concern is also based on the move to energy efficient L.E.D lighting and spiral bulbs. These are great inventions and I think this is the way to go, but they are phasing out regular bulbs. I don't know about you but it worries me that I won't be ale to buy heat emitting bulbs for my heat lamps, or they are going to become extremely expensive in the future as they won't be manufacturing them as much. I'm not sue about how the rest of you use your heat lamps, but I do not use the 250watt bulbs. I use 100 watt bulbs in an insulated, closed brooder. This allows me to keep my chicks warm, but not use the same amount of energy as the 250 watt bulbs.

Any thoughts on this issue??

Urban Coyote

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    check out reptile supply sites for other heating options. I have flexwatt heat tape and heat cables here. I think somewhere on the net should be a thing that would shut the electric off when the temp goes over a certain point or use a on off thermostat to control the heat.I also would have a smoke detector in the barn, maybe one that has a remote loudspeaker in the house so you could hear it inside. Flexwatt comes in different sizes and by the foot one ft only has 6-15Watt or so. It is kind of like a uner the tank heater but can be used to wrap around , horizontal or vertical fashion depending on your needs, this combined with a thermostat or a dimmer to control the heat out put is pretty safe.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  3. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    I have been wanting to try the ceramic heat bulbs. I doubt that they are less of a fire hazard though...

This same site sells radiant heaters Go green right? If it fits in your budget I think they are a good option. We are looking at putting 4-5 new coops in... once you start multiplying... oh dear.

https://stores.myregisteredsite.com/user1249836/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CL1

We live in Florida so... not so much an issue. Lat year (before I found you lovely people) I brought all of our chickens in when it got cold... right in to the guest bebroom. There is always that... joke by the way. I know you have like a million chickens!

[​IMG]

4. Happy Chicken Mama

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    I have been wanting to try the ceramic heat bulbs. I doubt that they are less of a fire hazard though...

This same site sells radiant heaters Go green right? If it fits in your budget I think they are a good option. We are looking at putting 4-5 new coops in... once you start multiplying... oh dear.

https://stores.myregisteredsite.com/user1249836/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CL1

We live in Florida so... not so much an issue. Lat year (before I found you lovely people) I brought all of our chickens in when it got cold... right in to the guest bebroom. There is always that... joke by the way. I know you have like a million chickens!

[​IMG]

5. Happy Chicken Mama

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida

[​IMG]

6. Happy Chicken Mama

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida

[​IMG]

7. Happy Chicken Mama

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    Sorry, I only hit the button once.?.?.?.?.?

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    This site is behaving a bit oddly at times, the last couple of days. I'm not sure what's wrong.

You can go back and edit the extra posts, to delete the content, if you want.

9. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    When I was growing up, my mom was the "handy-man" around the house, building rabbit hutches, etc. She made a dog house heater out of a shiny, unused paint can. I'm planning to make a couple of them if we get around to making our deluxe multi-dog house this summer out of an old solid satellite dish.

Basically you take a new, unused paint can (available at Lowe's) and mount a light fixture in the end of it, opposite the lid end. You can remove the lid to change the bulb. It should be mounted flush against a wall with the wiring coming out of the structure and in a position where no chicken could perch on it.

Here's a link to a discussion describing something similar.
    http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46653

I wonder of one of those dog house furnaces would be safe. Do a search for Hound Heater Dog House Furnace.

10. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I'm with Conny on the flexwatt.
    http://reptilebasics.com/4-Flexwatt-Heat-Tape-p-16248.html
    Cheap-o starting costs, and, it's 8 watts per foot, you could have 12ft of heat for the same electrical use as one bulb. I'm planning on switching everyone over to it, they seem to like the belly heat better anyways. Try sticking a "hot hands" thing in the other corner of your brooder, see how many prefer it over the heat from the glaring light. Same concept, only the flexwatt would be plugged in and controlled with a dimmer/rheostat/thermostat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by