Alton Brown has me REALLY upset!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Nifty-Chicken, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Watch for about 4 minutes at the 34 minute mark:

You might have heard him say:

"I don't search for restaurants online"
    Well, he's obviously not representative of the majority of web users... but I'll let that slide as his opinion.

"There is no way to find good recipes online... 99.97% of them are crap!"
    SAY WHAT? Seriously? Just on BYC I've seen GREAT recipes. Not to mention the tons I've seen on other sites.

... but here is what really ticked me off:
    "Forums will ultimately destroy the usefulness of the internet"
    "People on forums are the last people you want to listen to"

!?!?!? Those statements are some of the dumbest things I've heard!

He may be an expert chef, but he knows NOTHING about the internet or online forums.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2012
  2. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Well there's an hour I will never get back.

[​IMG]

3. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    Alton Brown is NOT an expert chef...he is an entertainer and as such he feels he needs to say certain things that would be considered controversial. That way he has more material for his next TV show or his next book. To me there is quite a difference between a "celebrity chef" and a chef at a four star restaurant. When he says some of the things, i.e. recipes, Internet, he does not want you to agree, he wants controversy around him. It is how he makes money.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

LOL, like people who frequent forums are not real people who cook. He hasn't met Miss Prissy! Geez, gimme a break. Consider the source, I guess.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  5. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    He thinks most recipes are crap anyway. He feels that most recipes don't give detailed enough information. His cookbooks are primers on the whys of how recipes work, and what will and will not work in the kitchen. If a recipe fails, he wants to know why it failed.

I didn't watch the video, but that is a position he has taken for a long time.

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

"We have given everyone a voice an most of it is crap" Is he talking about his self?

7. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

I dunno Nifty... They sound pretty accurate to me. [​IMG]

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Never heard of him, so I don't feel the need to add to the view count on the video by watching it.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Nifty, the guy asking the question sounds familiar--is that anyone we know?

10. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    As someone else said, he's an entertainer first, not a chef first. My only exposure to him personally is that his recipes tend to pop up at the top of searches. I almost always have to cringe and skip them as they tend to be pretty bland and lacking on the technique side. There are many celebrity chefs and cooks I could say the same for. I find much better on simple cooking forums and websites, though it is true that I usually have to do some serious wading to find really solid recipes that hold up well to the test of time (and different altitudes, haha).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by