Alton Browns Turkey Brine Recipe...

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by redhen, Nov 15, 2011.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Just wanted to share this with you guys...
    It REALLY makes a difference in your turkey meat coming out moist and VERY tasty. In MY opinion..

(the only thing we did different was to use some veg stock, AND also use chicken/turkey stock for the broth part of the recipe... kinda half and half..)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html

**ETA: We only used the brine recipe ... we still cooked the turkey the way we usually do.. didnt use the apple and cinnimon stick and stuff... just the brine recipe part..**

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  2. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I love brining my turkey!! I use a recipe I found on the web a few years ago:

2 ½ gallons cold water
    2 cups kosher salt
    1 cup sugar
    2 bay leaves, torn into pieces
    1 bunch fresh thyme, or 4 tablespoons dri
    1 whole head of garlic, cloves separated and
    5 whole allspice berries, crushed
    4 juniper berries, smashed

Place the water in a large pot that can easily hold the liquid and the turkey you intend to brine. Add all ingredients and stir for a minute or two until the sugar and salt dissolve. Put your turkey into the brine and refrigerate for 12-24 hours. If the turkey floats to the top, use a plate or other weight to keep it completely submerged in the brine.

Now, I've been brining other things: thick pork chops are great!

3. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

I was taught to shoot brine into the bird, by a chef who spent most of his time catering for charter jets out of SFO. A big syringe thing with a fat needle. Shoot the brine into the breast, thighs and legs. This guy was really something.

4. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't usually brine but I do stuff with herbs and a bunch of lemon halves/garlic cloves. I think the lemon halves really help with moistness. That and watching the temperature carefully. Don't let it get all the way up to full temperature, it will keep cooking while it's resting. And, cook upside down for the first 3/4 of the cooking, than turn over to brown the breast. This can help keep the breast moist.

5. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I'm getting so excited...the anticipation is killing me. I love a good turkey and I usually cook a turkey breast at least once a month, but a couple of months before Thanksgiving I quit making turkey so that we will all be very hungry for it on Thanksgiving. I like to inject my turkeys also. We like a mixture of chicken broth, butter, garlic, sage and a bay leaf all simmered together then strained. YUM YUM I can't wait.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by