Altsteirer in white, wildbrown and some other interessting colours

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Drachenreiter, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Drachenreiter

Drachenreiter Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    Hello to everybody from Bavaria (Germany),

it is a plesure for me to read sometimes in your interessting forum.

But today I want to introduce you a wonderful kind of breed.

The history is the following:

The roots of this breed are in the old chickens of the Sainted Roman Empire wich ended in 18.. and was a kind of the german land chicken.

A rest of this populations was in the Steiermark (Now Austria and Slowenia) at the end of the Sainted Roman Empire. From this chickens there was a way to the lighter wildbrown type in the upper Steiermark (Austria) and to the a little bit heavier white type in the down Steiermark (Slowenia).

First notices was found about this type of breed in the 14 century.
    Than in 1846 Professore Hlubek wrote in a newspaper about the egg layin in a year for round 100-160 per year and hatching natural at 12-15 egg a hen that 10 chickens ar coming.
    From 1894 i have a copy of a old standart description with a picture.
    From 1914 i have a reprint of a book from Armin Arbeiter "Handbuch der Nutzgeflügelzucht für Österreich und die Donauländer"

Than after the second world war this race is going down, because of the new industriepoultrys. 20-30 years ago the population of this breed was quite to zero. Only 5 hens and 2 cockerels are found in Germany and Austria white the original blood.

But than a few people starts to save this race and till now the type wildbrown is quite save with about 5000 animals. But the white one is always a rare kind of breed with about 100-500 animals.

Further Information:

- eggs are ivory - white coloured with a weight from around min. 55 gr.
    - about 180 egg the first, 150 eggs the second year
    - weight cockerel 2-3kg, hen 1,75 -2,5kg
    - they are good foragers, if the runout is open and really big
    - at the moment only white and wildbrown is offical in the German/Austrian Standart

2. Drachenreiter

Jun 14, 2008
    And a want to share also a few pictures of this beautiful kind of breed.

It is one of the rare breeds wich is not shown at feathers sites. You see it before it is listed there in July!

First a picture from a baby cicken only one day old:
    [​IMG]

than the big chief of somebody in Austria:
    [​IMG]

and whit his ladys:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a few of the young ones
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

this kind of breed have - the hen more a bonnet and the cockerel only a small one - you see it here of this young cockerel
    [​IMG]

3. Drachenreiter

Jun 14, 2008
    ah sorry there is a pic. double.

I want to show you this:
    [​IMG]

And now the wildbrown type
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now a few not offical Standart colours, but this colours are also existing and are great:

A hen in barred
    [​IMG]

On this picture you see two of my own young barred future cockerels

[​IMG]

there is also a blue one on the picture.

And here you see an hen in blue

[​IMG]

and here at my young ones there is a bigger blue cockerel whit other chickens

[​IMG]

And a few pictures from my beauty wich is new in the colour whit the white points

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope you enjoy the pictures.

I you have any questions i will do my best to give you a answer.

Regards
    from Bavaria
    DR

4. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Beautiful and very informative. There is a member on here that has a mystery chick that looks just like this. White with a little poof on the head. i hope she sees this message! i'll bet that's what she has!

5. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Grussgott DR und willkommen. Those really are beautiful birds, especially the blues and browns.

6. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Beautiful birds. Thanks for sharing. I am sure there are still some chicken Breeds out there we haven't seen yet.

7. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I really like the blue ones, they are so striking with their brown heads.

8. fowlafoot

fowlafoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Midwest
    Thanks for the information and the beautiful pictures. I have a passion for rare breeds. I'm glad that the Alsteirer was saved, so many old breeds are suffering from the focus on industrial breeds.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Sometimes WWII contribute the decline of the breeds...soldiers have to eat and so do families.

They look alot like Spitzhaubens without the spots....lovely breed!

Welcome in BYC! We love people from all over the world!

10. Drachenreiter

Jun 14, 2008
    Quote:Hy Bangor777,

there is another kind of breed, called the Sulmtaler, they are also from Austria and are heavier like the Altsteirer. This is a picture of this kind of breed, where the hens have a different colour.

[​IMG]

Another kind of breed wich looks like the Altsteirer are the Cream Legbar from England and the Brabannter Bauernhühner from Belgium.

But there is a difference in the weight, the looking, the colours from all this to the Alsteirer.

Regards
    DR

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by