Aluminum shed as Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Quigley, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Quigley

Quigley Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2009
    I am a newbie and trying to figure out if I can convert an aluminum shed into a coop. I live in Mass. so warmth is a factor. Every search I do leads me to automatic door openers and such. Any btdt or leads on information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You can do it, IF YOU INSULATE the inside, including the ceiling (underside of roof).

But if you do not insulate, not only will you have heat problems in the summer, you will have frostbite/mold problems all winter because it will turn into a great big condensation factory.

Insulation (batts or rigid foamboard, either is fine) will have to be covered anywhere that chickens can reach it, otherwise they eat it which is not especially good for chickens and definitely not good for the insulation <g>

Also you will need to cut a buncha additional ventilation in it.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Quote:Welcome to BYC....you'll find lots of great info and people here. I have some pics of a metal shed coop I could email you if interested....just pm me. [​IMG]

4. woodenart

woodenart Out Of The Brooder

Condensation would be an issue in Great Britain, unless adequate insulation and heating was installed.

5. ND Sue

ND Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    ND
    I'm sorry if I should have started a new topic, but this question on using an aluminum shed has me wondering if I should change my plans...
    We will be doing our exterior siding on our coop hopefully this weekend and I have access to either steel siding or vinyl siding that we already have on hand. I would prefer the vinyl since it is in a color, but I was actually going to use the steel because I thought it would hold up against predators, weather and just be more solid. Iron clad as they say! (Yep, my husband will be cutting in those vent deals up high also.) He has told me to quit reading this site! haha!

So should I be using the vinyl after all? I'm in ND. and the coop is well insulated and has gas charged windows. We're trying to make it cold and blizzard proof!
    If you had a choice, which would you use?

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:I'm in agreement with Pat. Problems if not properly insulated and vented.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I converted an aluminum shed ino a coop. It does have vents but we also added another window which is twice as large as he existing window on he opposite side of the shed. We are currently building another coop and will move the birds that are in the shed coop into the new coop soon and he shed will be turned back into a shed until we need to convert it back to another coop.

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

8. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i am thinking i would go with the aluminum.. if the vinyl gets a hole you can't really fix it.. the aluminum should be stronger for what you want to use it for.

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Steel; it will last longer with less aggravation, and be more seriously predator-proof, and is easier to install.

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with metal siding, it's just that in a climate that gets coldish winters you need to have something on the inside of it so there's more than a 28-gauge sheet of metal between the coop air and the outside air. Since you say the building is well-insulated (which is certainly intelligent to do in ND! [​IMG]) there is no problem at ALL with using metal siding.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

10. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    I live in Oklahoma. We built our coop out of scrap lumber and sheet metal. Ventilation shouldn't be an issue, I hope, because we have a fairly large window on the west side near the top, and pretty much the whole east side is open, and there is a low window on the southeast corner. My hens congregate on the east side in the sun most days. I guess if it gets too cold this winter we can tarp off the windows at night - but most of these hens were raised outside in small pens with just a tarp for a roof anyway. I think they should be okay?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by