always putting the cart before the horse!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mtnkids, Jan 3, 2010.

1. mtnkids

mtnkids Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    Southeast Iowa
    I am looking at another batch of eggs to start incubating. I really love these wheaton marans I found on Gabbard Hatching Eggs website.

My question is (and I really hope I'm asking in the right place!) if I buy a half dozen or so from her, and hatch the eggs successfully, and they grow up and I want to hatch eggs out of them, *takes a breath* do I need eggs from someone else as well or can they be bred to each other and hatched out?

Thanks!

2. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I think you can breed them in a fashion called line breeding. I don't know the details real well, but you an search line breeding on the forum. I remember seeing a post by Speckledhen that describes it really well.

3. BlueMottie

BlueMottie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Rock
    Line breeding (if indeed all the birds you are hatching would be related) is a common breeding technique used by many breeders. The only line-bred cross I'm aware of that is hazardous on the spot is sibling mating, as their genes are too similar.
    If you start out with enough birds, some people never have to introduce new blood. But if you're starting out with only a small flock, then eventually you would have to add new blood or the birds would become too inbred.

Hope this helped [​IMG]

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

5. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by