Always wanted some pet geese and finally going to, which breed?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cozyann88, Mar 20, 2011.

1. cozyann88

cozyann88 New Egg

Mar 20, 2011
    Hello, I live on about 10 acres with a pond and I have a place set up for them. I want the geese purely as pets. I have a 4 year old and a 6 year old. I heard the calmest types of geese were pilgrim, buff , and Sebastopol. Can anyone tell me what the friendliest / most social breed would be? I want to raise them from babies and plan on spending a lot of time with them. I am getting two, Is this a good number? and should I get female and male?

2. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    First off let me say hi. I raise several types of geese. The calmest of my geese would be the Sebbies then the buffs. I must say though I do have Africans that I can reach under the mom and check the eggs without problems. Since you do have children I would ge a Sebbie or a pilgrim, buff. Right now I have a Sebbie with 16 eggs, and many more in the bator.[​IMG]

3. arherp

arherp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    I would say Africans! Get the true Africans though, hatchery "Africans" can be iffy since they are part Chinese. The closest thing to a pure African that is mass produced is the "Super African", if you go hatchery route.

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I've never had geese myself, but my neighbors have Toulouse geese from Cackle Hatchery and they're really sweet. [​IMG]

5. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    Sebbies all of the WAY!!! IMO [​IMG] (since I have 8 of them [​IMG])

6. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    me, I love my Pomeranians, even in breeding season they don't attack

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by