am curantly building a coop and pen for my two boys and I

huntingpal

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 14, 2011
Hi I live in southern indiana. New to chickens and only getting in chikens to have a project for my two boys and I to work on together. The birds will most likly be used to show at 4H fairs and egg sales for the boys to start learning the ins and outs of working and earning money. I am looking at getting some Welsummers to start with. Anyone have any recomendations as to a good breeder close to me?? Thanks for any input!!

welcome-byc.gif
from Kansas, huntingpal!
celebrate.gif
Good to have you aboard. Love how you are involving your boys with chickens!
yippiechickie.gif
Best of luck on the Welsummers!
D.gif

Thanks for the welcolm!! Had to stop work on the new coop. Someone (well me) misfigured materials when at town yestarday. OOPS. If anyone has any sugestions as to other breads besides Welsummers that would work for show and eggs let me know. Also need to find a good breeder to get some eggs or chicks from. Thanks for any help

Murray McMurray in Iowa is a GREAT hatchery! I get all but my bantams from there. This year was my first year showing chickens in 4H and am now taking a state fair trip! Rhode Island Reds are very consistant brown egg layers, we have also had good luck with Buff Orpingtons laying. But Buff Orpingtons mature later so don't make the best show birds. Do you know what classes you want to show in? Such as Brown Egg Production, White Egg Production, Or Standard Breeding Pen?

I know nothing of the diferent classes yet. Just want to get the boys into 4H. I guess I need to check into the diferent classes to show in. Any hints??

Well, for any egg production you will need 2 females and you want them to look almost identical. It's ideal that that you get them earlier in the year. In a 4H booklet there should be details and guidelines to follow. In any breeding pen you want 1 rooster and 2 hens. This year I am taking my bantam breeding pen to state, for me these were the funnest because they were nice and beautiful. But definantly NOT good egg layers. If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

I have found hopefully some helpful information, On the left it has all of the breeds. If you click on one of them it will tell you about the breed what it is good for (such as egg, meat, dual-purpose), how big it is, and give you a pic of what it looks like. Im from MN so some of these might be different...but some other helpful hints are wear black pants with white long-sleeved and close-toed shoes, always face the judge, and if they plan on doing Show & Hobby or Showmanship make sure you study up on your breed (Are there other colors, how to hold & take out of cage), just be comfortable with the bird and confident at all times! Good Luck!

http://139.78.104.1/breeds/poultry/

Back
Top Bottom