Am I a boy or a girl? (4wk Bantam Duccle) + photos

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by east_winds, Jan 5, 2010.

1. east_winds

east_winds New Egg

Dec 5, 2009
    This is little Woodstock, one of two chicken eggs that we managed to hatch at home in our incubator. His? little Cochin buddy, FuBu (short for 'Fuzz Butt') sadly died a week ago at 3 weeks of age (he was runted and I believe he had a respiratory problem- Woodstock would spend all of his time watching over the little guy and trying to keep him warm, and now seems lonely without his buddy) Woodstock however appears to be healthy and is getting in his? adult feathers. He? is a Bantam Mille Fleur Belgian Duccle, and was born/hatched on Dec 5th (he is about 4 weeks old today). S/he does not have a notable comb yet, but is just starting to show signs of developing one. We are thinking of keeping him/her as an indoor bird so that s/he does not get lonely (s/he loves to perch on shoulders and will 'free range' in our living room, following us around). Is Woodstock most likely a roo or a pullet? Is it too early to tell? Pics below... (tried to get panoramic views of his? head, with my mother holding him).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

S/he also does this funny thing when out of the cage and roaming on the floor- will run in circles around my feet with tail feather raised, looking like s/he wants to charge or peck, but is not overly aggressive. Is this playing or potential roo behavior? If Woodstock does turn out to be a boy, is it still possible to keep a roo indoors as long as there are no hens around? I am debating getting Woodstock some friends from the local feed store, but am worried about the amount of work extra chickens would take at this time (we are also raising 4 ducks at the moment who are still in the brooder, who are way, way more high maintenance than little Woodstock...)

Thanks a bunch for your help! [​IMG]

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    It looks like a pullet to me, but what do I know?

3. leighhancock

leighhancock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2009
    Lancaster SC
    I think pullet too.

4. REINABUGY

REINABUGY Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    Upstate New York
    I Think It Is A Girl

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I think it looks like a pullet, but I know nothing about D'Uccles.

6. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    I am zero help but can I just say AWWWW!! Whatta cutie! [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Little early to tell, give it about two more weeks. For now I'm going with pullet.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  8. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    My GUESS is pullet too, based solely on the barely existent comb. [​IMG]

9. charsbird

charsbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Vermont
    I think pullet too.

10. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Pullet and I have actually raised d'Uccles.

Matt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by