1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Am I a boy or a girl? Take the Poll.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NovaAman, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Patrick

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Patricia

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]
    Pat is a pretty SQ splash bantam cochin. Pat is very tiny. Pat was not used to being able to walk around, in order to keep the feathers clean and matted. Pat now has gained quite a bit of strength, but is still being protected from my bigger birds. When wet, Pat is about the size of my seremas. Also, when I got Pat a month or so ago, the head feathers had been pecked off by other birds, thus the spikey nature of them on Pat's head.

SO, Pat is just over 6 months old. This picture was taken yesterday, December 18th. As you can see, small wattles, small comb. There has been no crowing, there have been no eggs. The hens pick on Pat. The cockerels pick on Pat. Pat stays protected. Only has one buddy, and unsexed as of yet splash silkie whose head crest is so enormous, that it's already hard enough for it to see. SO, they don't fight. LOL.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  2. NovaAman

I edited the thread title...

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Pat appears to be a boy.

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Male.

5. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Looks like a boy to me. I'm not positive, though. I had a pullet who fooled right up until the day she laid an egg...

Is he/she a Cochin? If it is a male, Cochins are supposed to be wonderful roos! Although since you follow Derp, you probably know that. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. NovaAman

LOL, yes, a bantam cochin.

7. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    That bird appears to be a female. The body type, comb, stance, and expression reek female. The coloring and poor picture quality makes it almost appear to have saddle feathers (shiny pointed feathers at the cushion).

8. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I voted girl. I don't have much experience with bantam Cochins, but I used to keep and hatch lots if their LF counterparts. My cockerels had BIG combs well before 6 months old, and those were some slow maturing suckers, for sure. Pat also looks kinda wet in your pictures (to me, at least). So, based on that...I'm voting lady :)

9. SweetSilver

SweetSilver Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a splash cochin cockerel, and this looks just like him (I admit yours has much smaller comb, but Flyer's wasn't exceptionally large either, but bright red). He was a gentleman rooster-- did all the dances, the chickie-girls loved him-- but he was a PITA to us humans.

I hope yours finds a place he feels safe and welcome.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  10. NovaAman

Well, out of the 79 people who took a look, and the 6 that voted, the general consensus is that Pat is a Patrick... Which he is. He started crowing yesterday and doing his darndest to beat up my silkie Roger, who in the end, kicked his butt. LOL.

Well anyway. At least now I know for sure! LOL. It is the littlest crow ever. He does put his whole little heart into it, but it is quiet and squeaky. My serema, Fritz the Jerk is much, much louder!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by