1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Am I a boy or a girl?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Kedreeva, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Well, just like the title says... any idea?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Crowing

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    male india blue split to white

3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Boy

4. Kedreeva

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I was afraid of that! Oh well, I will keep him and probably find a new home for the other one (who I think is also a boy, but I will have to get some pictures to be sure.... if my mom ever lets him go).

I do know that he's not split to white though, he's an IB dark pied off silver pied parents. If he's a boy, I will have to look for a white female... I'm told if he's bred to white he'll throw 100% silver pied [​IMG]

5. Kedreeva

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Ok, here are the pics for the second peachick... sibling to the first (IB dark pied off silver pied parents). Again... boy or girl?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one's not as tolerant of holding still for pictures as the first, so I hope these will work. Thank you for clearing up the first one [​IMG] Now I can finally name him.

6. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    if out of pr of silver pieds he will be white eye also........Look for a white hen out of silver pieds , that way you can get silver pied chicks.

the white flight means he is carrying the white gene. Pieds have both white and pied genes.

7. Kedreeva

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Oh, interesting! Maybe I will get lucky with the three eggs in my incubator that are set to hatch this weekend, and one will be a white female from silver pieds [​IMG] I know it's a long shot, but it can't hurt to dream, right!

Any opinions on the second peachick pictured? Male/Female?

Oh, and so that I'm sure I understand.... when you say he will be white eye, does that mean his train will actually HAVE white eyes, or that he will just be carrying it and that won't be a displayed trait? I'm such a newbie, so many questions... I'm so lucky to have you guys on this forum. I don't know how anyone figured out anything without you guys to hold their hands lol

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010

8. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Crowing

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    looks to be a boy too

9. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes 2nd one boy also.

Yes he will be white eye...as all silver pieds are W.E. and W.E. X W.E. = 100% W.E.

Thing about white eye peacocks, some have more white and more train feathers with white than others.Heck some just have a few white spots on the eye of a train feathers.

10. Kedreeva

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    How interesting! I'd thought before that they'd just carry it, it will be awesome to see him actually have some white, even if it's just a few spots here and there. He's got really nice white on his wings already.

Will probably have to find a new home for his brother, how sad.

Fingers crossed one of the eggs in my incubator has a white female that will hatch this friday!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by