Am I a boy or girl? Muscovy gender help please!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by featherfinder, Jan 12, 2012.

1. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Always thought a girl but not really sure. This is my only muscovy and it hisses alot. I never hear trills anymore like i use to. Also has the feather mohawk on top of the head when she hisses.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Looks like a male from the huga caruncles. My muscovy girl's are tiny.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    He looks like a drake to me as well

4. maggiemmm

maggiemmm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2010
    Kewadin area
    The females will usually peep or honk if someone -another duck grabs their tail feathers ;-) The carnuncling and the BIG feet look like a male to me too. I have 5 females and one male POHI .. he is twice as big as the girls and hisses . Very protective. He has a disability - his wing is malformed.. Hence POHI.. physically or otherwise health impaired. ;-) He is a great duck too! You will LOVE your Muscovy.. they are SO MUCH more quiet and reserved than say the Swedish blue who sounds like a foghorn ALL of the time.

5. featherfinder

All my other ducks are runners and i have 1 black swedish drake. I do love Gizmo but he needs to go to a new home. He was a rescue so to say and now that he is being mean to all the other duckies and pulling feathers i can not keep him around. But also wanted to know if i had a drake or a girl. You are right and he is a great duck, my most friendliest actually just also the most aggressive with my others...

6. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    EWWW, look at all those... those... THOSE... RED THINGS [​IMG][​IMG]..... S/he is still a cutie [​IMG]

7. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    Those "red things" are crauncles and they are adorable. You have to have a special love for muscovies. They are one of the best breeds for pets. Your drake is adorable especially because he has crauncles.

8. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    i know they are caruncles, its just a inside joke with me and featherfinder......

personally i think muscovies have a face only a mother could love :/......... her drake is still cute....

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I have 5 hens here, they make quite a few noises BUT only my drakes hiss.. the 'mo hawk' i find while the drakes do that the most(especially my young blacks ones) some hens will to, i have one that does so that really IME isn't a gender thing.. the vocals most certainly are...

10. featherfinder

Thank you everyone for your help. With him being a drake the home i had for him can not take another boy so I have posted him in the auction area here if anyone is intersted [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by