1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Am I a boy or girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sassychickengirl, Jul 31, 2010.

1. sassychickengirl

sassychickengirl In the Brooder

May 21, 2010
    small town ohio
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are my daughters chickens. They're supposed to be pullets but I'm not so sure. They are about seven weeks old. Any guesses on gender?

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Songster

Jul 14, 2009
    Well, I've only had one EE in my day, but I'd have to guess roo on that one - a gorgeouse bird.

The 2nd one is definitely a roo...

3. sassychickengirl

May 21, 2010
    small town ohio
    I was hoping I was wrong [​IMG] I really like both of these birds and was told at the hatchery they were all girls.. oh well. Now to decide what to do. I only wanted one roo, the SLW I ordered, and I'm not sure he is a he, lol.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging Staff Member Premium Member 9 Years

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Both boys.

5. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Both boys, sorry [​IMG]

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    The first one has like a 5% chance of being a girl (non-straight combs are so hard to sex!)... but the second is a definite roo.

7. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Songster

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    They got you like they got me! Both boys-especially that first one......it's identical in color to the supposed pullet I have-that little booger started crowing at around 5 weeks!!

8. ParrotsNPullets

ParrotsNPullets Songster

Jun 8, 2009
    Upstate New York
    The first one could be a pullet... EE's are tricky, just keep an eye on 'her' and watch for pointy saddle feathers (you won't miss them, very beautiful pointy feathers on the back towards the rear), and black tail feathers sprouting with a green/blue sheen that tend to curl down.

Cross your fingers!

9. sassychickengirl

May 21, 2010
    small town ohio
    Quote:I'm hoping she turns out to actually be a SHE. I think it's beautiful regardless, but don't need more than one roo [​IMG] I keep trying to determine the saddle feathers, but none seem to really point down. I am keeping my fingers crossed, but won't be surprised if she crows, lol. I'll give it plenty of time [​IMG]

10. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Songster

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    At seven weeks old I would say they are both roos. Granted I olny have about 8 months experience with EEs, but the males would have a small comb but larger than the females. Females combs would not stick out at all (barely there) and the males would show three rows on the comb but would not redden till they are older. Tricky little things. [​IMG] Hope it works out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: