Am I a failure

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dblankin, Mar 5, 2014.

1. dblankin

dblankin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    Tuscumbia, AL
    On 2-9-14 I purchased 5 Dominique's locally. They stayed in a cardboard box with a heat lamp for about 4 days then I borrowed a friends brooder. After 1 week, one chick died then in another week, another one died. Through various posts I determined it to be cocci. I'm 4 days into treatment with Corid and my three remaining chicks are 3 1/2 weeks old. This morning - another dead chick. Could someone please offer any advice? They are in a brooder with a heat lamp, pine shavings, water, non-medicated feed. These cold nights have resulted in an 80 degree brooder despite the lamp. Did they get too cold? I just need some guidance please, this is killing me.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'm sorry. Can you give any other info? Are they acting normal? Eating well? Any diarrhea? You might take this question to the disease section. What are you giving them for feed? Any signs of respiratory illness? Good luck. I wish I could help.

3. AStitchofKate

AStitchofKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Im no help here, just wanted to send your little chicks some healthy vibes and hope they are staying well!! So sorry for your losses! (hugs)

4. lghrnlvr

lghrnlvr Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2013
    orangeburg sc
    if its coccidia I would burn all the materials that come out of your brooder including the dead chicks.
    use a 50/50 bleach and water mix to clean whatever you don't burn.
    coccidia is highly contagious and will spread to all your other chickens and can even spread to dogs.
    If the chicks haven't touched the ground yet, don't let them. once it gets into your yard it is almost impossible to get rid of.
    I hate to say this, and you don't have to take my advice, but I would kill the other chicks and start from scratch. also let the person you got them from know that they sold you diseased chicks.
    I thought I got a great deal on an OEG rooster and 2 hens once. I got them home and put them in the coop with my younger chicks. next thing I know I had a full blown outbreak of coccidia. I lost over 15 chicks before I figured this out and started treating them. I lost over $100 in chicks, medicine, and supplies to clean and sterilize my coop.
    Just when I thought I had it under control my dog ended up with it and spread it to her litter of puppies. That cost me over $1200 in lost puppies, vet visits, and medicine.

5. dblankin

Feb 6, 2014
    Tuscumbia, AL
    That was hard to hear but much along the lines my wife and I have discussed. I did get them from a young guy just starting out. 5 chicks and 1/2 gallon chick starter for $10. Great deal, huh? I also thought it could be from the borrowed brooder but my friend has raised 36 chicks in it.

I'm going to get more from a more reputable source and build my own brooder. I think the one strong chick that has tons of energy is a Roo!!

6. lghrnlvr

Apr 7, 2013
    orangeburg sc
    Yeah. My great deal cost me a small fortune.
    Building your own brooder would probably be best. I would sterilize your friends brooder and let them know what happened when you give it back.
    Check with your local tractor supply company or feed stores. Chick days has just started and they have all kinds of breeds to choose from.
    Good luck with your next batch.

7. dblankin

Feb 6, 2014
    Tuscumbia, AL
    I was originally giving 1/2 teaspoon Corid per gallon of water so last night I increased it to 1.5 teaspoons and made the weak chick drink from it 2-3 times. This morning she seems more alert than yesterday. She's walking around stretching her neck out trying to see outside the brooder.
    BRW - the roo now gets on the perch and looks out over the edge of the brooder! I know he can't wait to explore.

8. lghrnlvr

Apr 7, 2013
    orangeburg sc
    Coccidia is a micro organism that lives in the intestines. if an infected animal is weak, sick, or stressed out the Coccidia can take over.
    Giving the medicine will help the animals immune system fight off the Coccidia but it won't kill it.
    your chicks will still be carriers of the disease and will spread it.

9. dblankin

Feb 6, 2014
    Tuscumbia, AL
    I hear what you're saying now.
    : sad

10. lghrnlvr

Apr 7, 2013
    orangeburg sc
    I feel bad. Its so easy to get attached. Coccidia is a curse that keeps on giving. If you want to keep chickens or other animals in your yard than I would get rid of the chicks.
    Do you know for sure that it is Coccidia? My chicks started out with bloody diarrhea. Then they got lethargic and weak and eventually died.
    Can you get a clean poop sample and bring it to a vet for a fecal test? My vet charges $8.
    I would call first and see how large of a sample they needed for testing. Let then know you think the chick has Coccidia so they know what to test for.
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news. I wish I had known more about the disease when I got my chickens. It would have saved me a lot of headaches in the long run

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by