Am I a failure...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dblankin, Mar 5, 2014.

1. dblankin

dblankin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    Tuscumbia, AL
    On 2-9-14 I purchased 5 Dominique's locally. They stayed in a cardboard box with a heat lamp for about 4 days then I borrowed a friends brooder. After 1 week, one chick died then in another week, another one died. Through various posts I determined it to be cocci. I'm 4 days into treatment with Corid and my three remaining chicks are 3 1/2 weeks old. This morning - another dead chick. Could someone please offer any advice? They are in a brooder with a heat lamp, pine shavings, water, non-medicated feed. These cold nights have resulted in an 80 degree brooder despite the lamp. Did they get too cold? I just need some guidance please, this is killing me.

2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    What are there symptoms? Are they showing signs of difficulties in breathing? Are they sneezing? What exactly are they doing before they die? Are they eating and drinking but just not gaining weight? are they not eating or drinking at all? Need more information in order to possibly give a solution..

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    How much Corid were you giving? The correct dose for a severe outbreak is:

• 1.5 teaspoons powder per gallon - 5-7 days - make fresh daily
    • 2 teaspoons liquid per gallon - 5-7 days - make fresh daily

FDA recommendations:
    http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
    "Chickens
    Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
    Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

And this link has these instructions:
    http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
    "Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

More info here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

-Kathy

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    And I would bring them inside ASAP!

-Kathy

5. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Really there's NO information as to exactly what the symptoms are perhaps it's NOT cocci?

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Perhaps not, but no harm in treating with Corid.

-Kathy

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    They could have picked up something from the friend's brooder.

-Kathy

8. dblankin

dblankin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    Tuscumbia, AL
    Several hours before they passed, they looked fluffy and really sleepy. They also had pasty butt that I kept having to clean.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The feedstore I go to always has chicks with pasty butt and I suspect that they also have coccidiosis. Can you post some poop pictures?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by