Am I a Faverolles or not?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by taranakichicken, Jan 23, 2010.

1. taranakichicken

taranakichicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2009
    Meet Ethel. We think she's a Faverolles rooster but are not sure. She was supposed to be a hen (hence the name) but has begun crowing this week.

I'd love advice on what sort of Faverolles she/he is -- and a confirmation of sex! Unfortunately if she's a roo we'll have to sell her [​IMG]

If it helps, her favourite thing to do is perch as high as she can get in the tree above her coop, rather than inside with the other chickens!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    He doesn't look to be a pure faverolles to me but if he were he would be a mahogany. I think its a rooster but he doesn't have clear hackles and sycle feathers which is strange.

Here is a picture of my faverolles bantam cockeral and hen
    [​IMG]
    And here is my blue salmon cockeral
    [​IMG]
    Here are some of the hens
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am pretty sure its a faverolles mix and a rooster.

Henry

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    mahogany and change it's name to Ethan.

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    He is a EE/Salmon Faverolle cross roo.

5. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Thats what I was thinking but Peacomb is dominant over straight comb so maybe he is a mahogany.

6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:Thats what I was thinking but Peacomb is dominant over straight comb so maybe he is a mahogany.

Not always. Single combs can some time become dominate over pea combs. Bucky my BR cross roo (single comb) and Midnight my Black Ameraucana hen (pea comb) had a chick that has a single comb.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  7. nzpouter

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    we don't have EE in New Zealand............. the closest thing to it will be "araucanas" (NZ version), these have pea comb and dark legs (another dominant gene), the only thing that will cause the single gene to appear is by crossing a single combed bird with a lesser quality pea combed bird (rrPp instead of rrPP.. 50-50 result of peas and singles in offsprings).

The longer body on your chook is probably explained by the obsession of a lot of kiwi breeders to introduce shavers blood into their flock to increase egg production.

8. taranakichicken

taranakichicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2009
    Um....so is Ethel a boy or a girl?

I'm new to this chicken game, the genetics argument is way over my head

9. nzpouter

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    boy.

10. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Boy ha ha I had no idea that you were from New Zealand I have no idea what your favs look like then he could defently be a male Mahogany faverolles then we don't have good mahogany stock in the US

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by