Am I a girl? What am I?Pic heavy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by danaljamat, Dec 18, 2009.

1. danaljamat

danaljamat Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2009
    UK North Lincs
    Would love to know what you folks think. 3 of these are mutts (Bramble, SOlo and Buttercup) because I bred them from my own mutts. None of these three have crowed but are not laying yet either so I am hopefull.
    The rest are from a batch I bought. I bought 6 buff orps and 6 araucana eggs and the chap gave me another blue egg when we were there as a lucky dip (Dip). SO I know that Dip came from a blue egg but one of the BO produced a black chick. I bacame so muddled when they all hatched so am not sure which chick came from the so called BO egg. I think it was Poppy who also has five toes and feathery feet. SO the rest are supposed to be araucanas but I suspect not. ANyway, if you can give me any help on deciding gender and also breeds for the 17 weeks olds.
    I am using photo bucket for the first time so am not sure how this will turn out. I will post one chicken and see if it works and then post the rest

This should be solo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. danaljamat

Jun 10, 2009
    UK North Lincs
    OK. SO the pictures work but I am not sure how to make the images smaller but I will carry on anyway.
    By the way, Solo is 23 weeks old.
    I apologise for the photos - I am not the best photographer and they just wouldn't pose for me!!

This next one is Buttercup, 20 weeks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is Bramble 120 weeks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rest are all 17 weeks
    Stella Buff Orp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Poppy (Has 5 toes and feathered feet)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grace
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ebony

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gizmo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dip

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Solo, Buttercup, and Stella look to be female to me. Dip looks like a male. The only reason I say that is because of the coloration. It looks roostery.

The rest I'm not sure about. Nothing screams rooster, but still, nothing screams hen either.

There are folks here who are a lot better at this game than I am, so hopefully they will chime in. [​IMG]

4. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Considering their age, the only two that semi-look like roos to me are Poppy and Dip. The rest look like pullets. I could be wrong about Poppy and Dip, but the coloring, combs and feathering has me leaning towards roos. All are pretty chickens [​IMG]

5. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    I am going to agree with the last two post Poppy and Dip look like roos...but I am no expert. [​IMG]

6. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The last 2 look like roos to me also. I also think that some of them are crossed with silkies.
    Chris

7. chickenrancher

chickenrancher New Egg

Sep 12, 2007
    Nova, OH
    Solo, Buttercup, Bramble, and Gizmo all look like hens.

Poppy, Grace, Ebony, and Dip look like roosters.

Stella looks like a hen in her body and tail feathers but the hackles look a bit pointed like a rooster so I can't say definitively.

I think that Poppy, Ebony, Gizmo and Dip look like Araucana with the head feathers. Grace is an Araucana with the muff on the cheeks. Although it is possible they are mixed.

And Stella is a Buff Orpington.

This is just my opinion but I hope this helps!!!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  8. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    Hey, danaljamat!

I can't tell you anything about your birds, but I love the pics! Who cares if you couldn't make them smaller! The detail is gorgeous! thanks!

photobucket, you said?

9. danaljamat

Jun 10, 2009
    UK North Lincs
    Hey thanks for all your comments. Guess I will just have to wait a bit longer. Any one else want to have a guess?

10. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    I would say the majority are hens. A couple of the poofy headed chickens looked a little male, but not screamingly so. Dip doesnt look roostery either, BUT i have never seen such defined colours in a hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by