Am I a girl? What am I?Pic heavy

danaljamat

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
UK North Lincs
Would love to know what you folks think. 3 of these are mutts (Bramble, SOlo and Buttercup) because I bred them from my own mutts. None of these three have crowed but are not laying yet either so I am hopefull.
The rest are from a batch I bought. I bought 6 buff orps and 6 araucana eggs and the chap gave me another blue egg when we were there as a lucky dip (Dip). SO I know that Dip came from a blue egg but one of the BO produced a black chick. I bacame so muddled when they all hatched so am not sure which chick came from the so called BO egg. I think it was Poppy who also has five toes and feathery feet. SO the rest are supposed to be araucanas but I suspect not. ANyway, if you can give me any help on deciding gender and also breeds for the 17 weeks olds.
I am using photo bucket for the first time so am not sure how this will turn out. I will post one chicken and see if it works and then post the rest

This should be solo

solo23wks.jpg

solo23weeks.jpg

OK. SO the pictures work but I am not sure how to make the images smaller but I will carry on anyway.
By the way, Solo is 23 weeks old.
I apologise for the photos - I am not the best photographer and they just wouldn't pose for me!!

This next one is Buttercup, 20 weeks
buttercup20wks.jpg

buttercup20weeks.jpg

Here is Bramble 120 weeks
bramble20wks.jpg

Bramble20Weeks.jpg

The rest are all 17 weeks
Stella Buff Orp

Stella17wks.jpg

Stella17weeks.jpg

Poppy (Has 5 toes and feathered feet)

Poppy17wks.jpg

Poppy17weeks.jpg

Grace
Grace17wks.jpg

Grace17weeks.jpg

Ebony

Ebony17wks.jpg

Ebony17weeks.jpg

Gizmo

Gizmo17wks.jpg

Gizmo17weeks.jpg

Dip

Dipat17weeks.jpg

Dip17weeks.jpg

Solo, Buttercup, and Stella look to be female to me. Dip looks like a male. The only reason I say that is because of the coloration. It looks roostery.

The rest I'm not sure about. Nothing screams rooster, but still, nothing screams hen either.

There are folks here who are a lot better at this game than I am, so hopefully they will chime in.
smile.png

Considering their age, the only two that semi-look like roos to me are Poppy and Dip. The rest look like pullets. I could be wrong about Poppy and Dip, but the coloring, combs and feathering has me leaning towards roos. All are pretty chickens
smile.png

Solo, Buttercup, Bramble, and Gizmo all look like hens.

Poppy, Grace, Ebony, and Dip look like roosters.

Stella looks like a hen in her body and tail feathers but the hackles look a bit pointed like a rooster so I can't say definitively.

I think that Poppy, Ebony, Gizmo and Dip look like Araucana with the head feathers. Grace is an Araucana with the muff on the cheeks. Although it is possible they are mixed.

And Stella is a Buff Orpington.

This is just my opinion but I hope this helps!!!

Last edited:
I would say the majority are hens. A couple of the poofy headed chickens looked a little male, but not screamingly so. Dip doesnt look roostery either, BUT i have never seen such defined colours in a hen.

Back
Top Bottom