am i a gold comet girl???.....lets ask the experts!!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by goldies99, Jun 4, 2012.

1. goldies99

goldies99 Songster

Jul 22, 2011
    i got 6 gold comets that are suppose to be girls......but i am not so sure about this one....what do you all think???

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  2. lablover

lablover Songster

Apr 7, 2012
    Looks just like my pullets. [​IMG]

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Gold comets are a type of sex-link, meaning the birds can be sexed at hatch. A gold comet rooster is cream colored.

4. goldies99

goldies99 Songster

Jul 22, 2011
    ok.....so you think she is a pullets??....the other five have round tail feathers....there isnt any way it could just be a mutt chicken and not really a comet at all???

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    She totally looks like a gold comet. Some will have more or less white than others.

6. Hezz

Hezz Songster

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    Golden Comet (red sex link) pullet. 100%

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  7. chickenmaniac

chickenmaniac Chirping

Mar 12, 2012
    Arizona
    a golden sex link

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I do see what you mean about the tail. What's going to help is more info, especially where did you get her? If she's from a hatchery, either direct or via a feed store, she's a sex link pullet. If she's from a private breeder, it may be a second generation sex link and thus the rules don't apply. There's no pure bred from a hatchery that looks like that besides a sex link pullet. Homegrown mixes, well, all bets are off [​IMG]

9. goldies99

goldies99 Songster

Jul 22, 2011
    i got her from a friend who said she came from TSC ......so she is suppose to be a girl!!!.....so i am crossing my fingers!!!!

10. Hezz

Hezz Songster

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    Red Sex-Links are the result of various crosses.

White Rocks with the silver factor (the dominant white gene would produce all white offspring) are crossed with a New Hampshire male to produce the Golden Comet. [​IMG]

Silver Laced Wyandotte crossed with New Hampshire gives the Cinnamon Queen.

Two other crosses are obtained with Rhode Island White x Rhode Island Red, and Delaware x Production Red. These two crosses are simply called Red Sex-Links.

Males hatch out white and, depending on the cross, feather out to pure white or with some black feathering. Females hatch out buff or red also depending on cross, and they feather out in one of three ways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: