Am I a Japanese Bantam, do ya think??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Woofless, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Woofless

Woofless Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    SD
    I posted a pic of this guy when he was about 4 weeks old ....one person guessed he might be a Japanese Bantam cross and I'm thinking they were pretty darn close [​IMG]

Here he is at roughly 8 weeks old (his comb is bigger & redder than my EE roos who are about 11 weeks old! Started getting color to it at 4 weeks- I'm just waiting to hear him crow, but so far nothing).

[​IMG]

So do you think he is a full Japanese Bantam or does he still look like a crossbreed? Here's the photo I posted at 4 weeks, in case anyone is interested to see how he developed:

[​IMG]

His name is Captain Koch....pronounced Cook, named after the Koch Poultry "proud chicken":
    [​IMG]

He bears quite a resemblance to this guy when he's strutting around the coop. Such a proud little guy- and one of my friendliest little birds. He's one of my favorites!! I have one other banty, Buttercup the Buff Brahma Bantam from the same bin at TSC who is looking pullet so far....I'm thinking once she lays I may pen these 2 birds seperate from the rest of the flock & see if I can get Buttercup to go broody & hatch some eggs [​IMG]

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    If he's a Japanese Bantam he's an extremely poor example of the breed. A Jap's shank should be abour 3/4 inch long. When you look at a Jap from the side you shouldn't be able to see under it.

3. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    My Japanese have dark legs. My Seramas have yellow legs like yours and agree, it's too tall. Mine are right on the ground. I don't think it's a Japanese

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  4. Woofless

Apr 7, 2010
    SD
    Any ideas what he might be, then? [​IMG]

He isn't as short-legged as the pics of Japanese Bantams I've seen, you're right. I'm going based on color & tail carriage....I've seen a ton of pics of JB's that look real similar. And it seems like I read somewhere that there's a mutation that'll determine whether the legs are short or long on a Jap? I could be mistaken of course!

He's an impulse purchase from a TSC bin, if that helps [​IMG]. He was in with a bunch of similar bantam chicks, and I picked him plus the only bantam feather-footed chick in the bin (the oddball- now my Buttercup). This TSC orders their birds from Ideal if it makes a difference.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Columbian Old English Game Bantam..

Chris

6. Woofless

Apr 7, 2010
    SD
    Do OEG's have yellow legs though? I know anything's probably possible with hatchery stock, but all the OEG bantams I'm seeing on Feathersite have dark legs....?

[​IMG]

7. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:x2 - my guess

8. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Quote:x2 - my guess

x3! Doesn't have the body shape of either a Japanese bantam or a serama, and I have all three breeds in my coop. The yellow legs are a bit unusual (so bright), but I still say that's my guess.

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Actually a BTW Japanese should have yellow legs. A Columbian OEGB should have pinkish white legs.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Like NYREDS A Columbian OEGB should have Pinkish White legs but a lot of "hatchery" OEGB are coming Yellow legged...

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by