1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Am I a Java or Australorp?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by elmtree, Mar 4, 2013.

1. elmtree

elmtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    Derry,NH
    [​IMG]

I ordered 4 Mottled Javas and 2 Black Australorps from Ideal and received them 2 weeks 5 days ago. Then the next day I picked up 2 of what I thought were 2 Additional Black Australorps from a local grain store, but they may be something else? The mottled Javas were not correct as they looked nothing like a mottled Java chick at all, but could be a black Java chick. I don't know who is who lol Any ideas?? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BlackPanther

BlackPanther Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Southeastern US
    Sorry, I haven't got my Javas yet, so I might not be much help -- but the Javas are supposed to be fatter/flatter than the Australorps?

Were your Java chicks at least cream with dark backs to start with? (If so, I would say they may be going through an awkward-coloration feathering stage and might come up looking okay in the end. Once their (first?) mottles start showing up you may be able to tell them apart.)

Anyway, I have an additional question to do with this subject, just in case any experts show up:
    There are chicks for sale in my area, the guy has a black Java rooster and black Java and Australorp hens. How would I tell which of the chicks are the pure Javas?

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I know australorps have pinkish white feet bottoms I read that javas have yellow like a jersey giant hope this helps, you could ask on the java thread

4. elmtree

elmtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    Derry,NH
    Thanks ramirezframing!! Good idea.

5. BlackPanther

BlackPanther Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Southeastern US
    Excellent information! Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by