1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Am I a Jersey Giant?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by alleyjazz, Jan 22, 2011.

1. alleyjazz

alleyjazz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2010
    Southern New Hampshire
    Trying one more time to determine the breed. I'm starting to think it's a Jersey Giant. Her legs are black and the bottom of her feet are yellow. She also has roundish eyes. She has always been very bold and inquisitive but not aggressive. She is so much tinier than the others that came in the rainbox mix order from McMurrays I think she must be a bantam, but McMurrays dosen't have Jersey Giant bantams on their website. She is now 23 weeks and just started squatting this week. Any more guesses?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's very difficult to take a picture of a moving target...I mean chicken!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The earlobes look white in the picture, so no, it wouldn't be a Jersey Giant. I'm thinking a black minorca? But her comb doesn't look large enough if she's close to POL.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  3. alleyjazz

alleyjazz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2010
    Southern New Hampshire
    I noticed that the earlobes look white in the picture but they are definitely not white. Maybe this picture shows it better.
    [​IMG]

4. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    Maybe she is a black Australorp? That is a very nice breed if she is.

5. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    I have an Old English Bantam hen that looks like her with white ears. But, she is really a lot smaller. Could she be like an OE Bantam, Australorp cross maybe???

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  6. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Australorps differ from Black Jersey Giants in that the legs of the Jersey Giant are black (some tending toward willow) and the underparts of the feet are yellow. In Lorps, the legs are black, shading to dark slate in adults, but the underparts of the feet are pinkish white. This works with good show stock, but hatchery stock is more variable and you can't ever be sure unless the birds grow to the size of Giants.

This was takin off feathersite.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by