Am I a light brahma?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Rwood5093, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Rwood5093

Rwood5093 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2016
    Jamestown, SC
    I bought a plymouth rock mix from Ideal about 5 weeks ago. I have 11 barred rocks and 2 others that were supposed to be white rocks. I'm not so sure about one of them, because it has feathered legs.

Alfredo (white rock cockerel) and Perlo (feather legged white pullet - I hope) look almost identical. Alfredo has obvious rooster traits such as the red comb and wattles; Perlo doesnt. Both started out solid yellow, and turned white. Perlo is starting to get some maybe buff colored neck/cape feathers and has one feather that has a grey vein. A few times I thought I caught a glimpse of grey streaks in her wing feathers, but it's hard to get her to sit still to verify.

I was wonderingshe might be a light brahma. I ruled out cochin, becuase they seem to have a lot more feathers on their legs, where Perlo only has feathers on the outside part of her legs, and they're not really thick. she doesn't resemble most light brahma pictures I see online - she doesn't have enough dark feathers. Are the dark colors slow to appear? Many chicks online seem to have immediate dark wing feathers, but at first glance all you see is white.

As a brand new chick withy slightly fuzzy legs
    [​IMG]

5 weeks old - you can see a hint of buff

[​IMG]

Here, you can see the one feather with a grey streak.

[​IMG]

Here you can sort of see her feathered legs
    [​IMG]

Perlo (front) and Alfredo (rear)

[​IMG]

Thanks for the photo bomb!

[​IMG]

Thoughts? any chance it is a white rock with feathered legs?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Mixed breed.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    mixed breed

4. Rwood5093

Dec 30, 2016
    Jamestown, SC
    Is this normal from a hatchery? I don't mind, because it's my favorite chicken.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd send a pic to Ideal and see what they say.

Not a Brahma. the Colombian markings would be apparent, and she'd have a pea comb.

I'm thinking poor quality Cochin. She does look a bit on the fluffy side, but I agree not enough leg feathering for a good bird.

I'd be interested to see what the hatchery says.

6. Rwood5093

Dec 30, 2016
    Jamestown, SC
    Response from ideal. It doesn't have 5 toes, so you guys were right. It's a mix. I wasn't asking for my money back, but it's nice that they offered.

"At this age it's hard to tell what exactly it is. It could either be a really bad version of a White Rock that got into another pen accidentally and turned out to be a "mixed" egg, or it could be a Salmon Faverolle. If that is what it is, then it would have 5 toes on each foot. Either way, I will credit you back for the chick as it is obvious that is not what you ordered. Let me know if you have any other questions. "

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Not a Faverolle mix. Faverolles have white skin, muffs, and 5 toes, all of which are dominant traits that would express in the chick. I'm almost positive it's a Cochin mix.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm glad they're willing to make it right for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by