1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Am I a Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by twilightNC, Apr 24, 2008.

1. twilightNC

twilightNC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2008
    North Carolina
    This chicken doesn't "act" like a roo but is obviously bigger than the rest of my chickens but in a fat, chunky hen way. LOL. Please tell me she is a she. She [​IMG] is about 2 months old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Looks like a roo, to me...

Dawn

3. twilightNC

Mar 21, 2008
    North Carolina
    :eek:
    oh noooooo!

4. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    Looks like a hen to me; I don't see pointy saddle feathers. Very pretty bird, whichever s/he is!

5. twilightNC

Mar 21, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Thanks. She is my sons favorite. She has a sweet attitude and she seems a little "chicken." [​IMG] Like, when I walk into the coop she runs off and the 2 roos we have don't. Usually.
    But she has that red comb and is SO much bigger than the rest I was beginning to question.

6. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    Well it could be a roo. But sometimes they do just develop at different rates. One of my RIR hens got a red comb a good three weeks before the other girls did, and she was always bigger. One speckled sussex didn't start laying until she was 8 months old, while the others all laid before 6 months. The saddle feathers are a pretty good indicator at that age, though. You can probably tell better from where you are ( [​IMG] ). I just have a picture I'm squinting my eyes at. If those feathers are very pointy and seem to be getting long, it's probably a rooster.

7. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

It looks ike a girl to me. Hen's combs become red once they get close to start laying eggs. I don't see anything manly about it at all really.

8. QueenieBee

QueenieBee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I'm not an expert but it looks like a "she" to me. It looks just like a couple of my girls. They are bigger than their sisters too.

She is very pretty. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  9. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm no breed, but I say pullet. What is her breed? I have some that look like her.

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    She is pretty and if shes a Brahma then she probably would be bigger because they are pretty chunky birds: she is very pretty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by