Am I a rooster or a hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by westernseashell, Feb 23, 2009.

1. westernseashell

westernseashell New Egg

Feb 23, 2009
    Hi everyone. I just purchased my very first chicks. Being a novice, I went to a place that sexes out their chicks. I thought I got 3 hens, but wonder if there is a rooster in the batch. I have one white leghorn, one buff orpington, and one barred rock. As I researched these breeds for their eggs, I learned a little about the breeds as well. From what I read, sexlink variety roosters have the white spot on their head and barred wings as chicks. My black barred rock has this same feature, but the hens will be barred too. So how can I tell if this barred rock is a female or male? I'm soooooo confused. Can you help me? My new chicks are below.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

edited for title - this is not an emergency

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009
  2. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

All barred rocks have the white spot. [​IMG]

3. westernseashell

westernseashell New Egg

Feb 23, 2009
    Thanks harley's girl. Ok, is there another way to tell if this BR is going to grow up to be a rooster or a hen?.....I'm off to explore this site. [​IMG]

4. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Up until the day all my girls laid an egg- I was absolutely convinced one or all of them were roos!! The more you look at them, the more you convince yourself. Relax, you'll know soon enough...Enjoy!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by