Am I a rooster or a hen??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenmomma123, Jul 31, 2014.

1. chickenmomma123

chickenmomma123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2014
    I am wonder if one of my chickens is a roo or a hen?? I thought it was a hen but now I'm starting to wonder. He/she is about 20wks[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    At 20 weeks it is more likely that this is a pullet at the point of lay than a rooster - as I am not seeing any hackle feathers that would indicate roo and it is a darker colored barred bird (roos tend to be lighter in color), but a full body shot showing the saddle feathers and tail would help be sure.

Welcome to BYC!

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    You should be getting your first egg soon. Dark fronts to her legs, darker bird in general.. it's a hen.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Yep - the added photo confirms it - you have a lovely girl getting ready to lay

5. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    What caused you to start questioning the gender?

6. chickenmomma123

Jul 31, 2014
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  7. chickenmomma123

Jul 31, 2014
    I was questioning the gender bc this is my first time raising chickens. This one seemed larger then the others and developed comb sooner and waddle. The other chickens same age, combs have just started to turn red a grow slightly larger but not like this one. I did get an egg the other day and now from your comments I will assume it was from her.

8. ILoveChickens01

ILoveChickens01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    Hen

You will be getting eggs soon, comb development confirms that.

9. SlowQueen

SlowQueen Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG] So beautiful! I can't wait to see if my 6 week old barred rocks will be making eggs, or legs! lol! (just kidding, my 6 chicks are all pets)

10. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    People often mistake the reddening and growth of comb and wattle a pullet as an indication of being male - so no worries there. A lot of folks don't realize that mature hens also have fairly large/red combs and wattles - generally not quite as large as a rooster, but I've seen some hens that could give the boys a run for their money. You will start to see the rest of your flock catch up to her in the coming weeks with their own combs and wattles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by