Am I a Silkie Mix or a Pure Silkie and Roo or Pullet??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stormylady, Mar 21, 2012.

1. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Hi, this little one is 11/12 weeks old, and is either a Silkie or a SF-Silkie/ Silkie Cross. s/hes acually a Dark Bluish/black color rather than the brown looking color in the picture. S/he is also slightly larger than my other silkies of this age. Sex is also up in the air but kinda leaning on the Roo side. Thanks for your help, Sandy [​IMG]

2. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Normal (non-furry) feathers, so it is a first generation Silkie mix. The Silkie gene is recessive to Silkie x normal-feathered would make all normal-feathered chicks, but if those are crossed with a Silkie or with each other the chicks will all be Silkied. The comb looks a little large for a pullet, but I might be able to guess a little better if you post a photo from the side [​IMG]

3. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    i'm going to say she and a silkie mix, I have 5 silkie mixes close to the same age and they look a lot like her but only one heavy feathered feet like mom the other 4 have just a touch of feathering on their feet

4. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    This babies mom is def. a Pure silkie and the two Roosters in with the hens are 1 pure silkie Roo and one 1st Generation SF/Silkie Roo. Hope this picture helps. [​IMG].

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  5. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I see what your saying because the 1st Generation chicks looked nothing like this chick. My first Generation mix is my Avatar and they were all non-silkied like you said.

6. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Sorry posted same picture twice. Here ya go![​IMG][​IMG]

7. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Mix, I think cockeral..

8. Fleabuskitty

Feb 23, 2011
    Yeah, I'm leaning more towards roo, though it is difficult to tell due to the fact that Silkies have black/blue skin and comb. Since the colors in the photos aren't very good, I am assuming that what you meant by bluish/black was blue like this:
    [​IMG]
    Blue roosters will have darker, almost black feathers on their hackles, wings, and saddle feathers with lighter breasts, legs, etc (like the color of the hen in that photo). If s/he really is blue (which it may not be if that was not what you meant) then the color might be another way to determine gender.
    Wait, you said that the dad was either pure Silkie or 1st generation cross and mom was Silkie? That makes this a little confusing because a 1st generation Silkie cross x pure Silkie would make Silkie-feathered chicks...
    By the way, that little tiny crest is adorable!

9. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Ok I found a picture of his possible Mom Sugar Plum she is the Blue Silkie. I do have another 2 blue Silkie girls and one is just about this same color and the other is very dark blue almost the color of Sugar Plums head. does that make sense?
    [​IMG]
    And this is who his father is if he is a Mix. Blackbeard is Sal. Fav/ Silkie (Full Brother to the Hen in the Avatar)
    [​IMG]
    I dont have a picture of the Pure Silkie Roo that is his Possible father but he is A Black/Grey with red leakage around his neck. (kinda like a Black Sexlink) markings?

I'm all confused about the color and feather genetics. Because when I was asking about what I would get with the original (Blackbeard above) cross they said the black skin and legs was dominant?? but all the chicks came out Non-Silkied (Super soft though. LOL) with white legs and feet and skin?

This little one is also not really Silkie feathered either but wound up with black legs and darker skin? Is that because if he is mixed he would be 3/4 Silkie and 1/4 Salmon Fav.??
    I was outside looking at him in the sun and the chick does have a brownish hue mixed in with the blue.

I'm leaning more towards a Mixed Roo also, And thankyou I love that little head poofy thing hes got going on too.

10. Fleabuskitty

Feb 23, 2011
    I know nothing about skin color genetics, though I wish I did know... research time! I do, however, know about color genetics. If the mother is blue, it doesn't matter what color the father is as long as he is not blue, half of the chicks will be blue and half will be black, so I guess yours is blue. I wrote an article thing about it on my blog that explains blue, black, and splash with more detail if you are interested.
    No doubt it is mixed breed. Someone else might be able to help more on gender, I'm not especially good at that and it is harder with mixed breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by