AM I a silkie?...TSC teeny bopper argued with me...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chefchick, Mar 12, 2013.

1. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    I got six of these little critters last night along with three meaties. I have wanted slikies for awhile now, so I was really excited to see them in the bantam bin. Black beaks, legs, and skin...the beginnings of little poofy heads, five toes, feathered legs... The kid working there said" theyare NOT silkies... they are bantams, lady. Read the box. " I gritted my teeth and politely said I would take my chances. lol. Please tell me I am right!
    [​IMG]

2. CMsBantams

CMsBantams New Egg

Sep 2, 2012
    DO they have 5 toes on each foot all silkies have this

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    First off, not all Silkies have five toes on each foot. They can come with just 4 or even with 6 or more!
    That being said, that is indeed a baby Silkie. My TSC told me the same thing when I asked about breeds in the bantam bin. "Uh, they're bantams, that their breed" (apply the geeze you're stupid look here). Uh, no. Enjoy them, I adore my Silkies. Such sweet birds :love
    Nikki

4. Chickie Mama

Chickie Mama Out Of The Brooder

It is hard for me to tell at that age but your description matches my silkies. TSC has been known to miss label their little ones. : ) Here are some pictures of mine last year when they were still little.

[​IMG]
    I wish I had a better picture... the white one in the back (the one not looking at us)... is a silkie. You can almost see the dark beak and dark feet in the picture.

[​IMG]
    This is her a month older.

It has been a while since I have looked at their feet but I'm pretty sure my girls do not have 5 toes but my Roo (not seen here) does.
    My ladies are sweet and right now very broody. My silkie roo is kinda nasty- but he's just doing his job. He watches over the flock pretty well.

So in conclusion, I think you are right. :)

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Yes, of course they are! Your description really couldn't be anything else.

Remember, the employees at TSC are given a bit of training on caring for the chicks. Any knowledge beyond that would need to be acquired elsewhere. You might get lucky and have a chicken expert working there or you might get a kid whose previous chicken experience was as a cashier at KFC. I tried to tell one of them that their breed of the week sign was incorrect and was told flatly that they mark the bins with whatever the box says. I must have been the umpteenth person to point it out and they were tired of hearing it. Same thing you encountered -- the box said "bantams" so that's what they are. Probably lots of folks coming in and wanting to know what breeds they are...

6. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    actually- he argued with me after that... Said he knew they weren't silkies because someone else who knows something about chickens was in looking for them and told him they weren't. That made my claws come out! and I politely told him I have been raising chickens for quite some time, just never silkies.

I can completely understand that they aren't trained on what breed is what, but they shouldn't be given misinformation either. He proceeded to argue with me about the meat birds I got too, when I told DH that a small pen we have at home would be fine for the meaties for the couple of months that we have them. He (the kid) told me that they take 6 months to mature and wouldn't have any meat on them until then, lol. I told him they would be dead by then and I hope he didn't tell other people that. He said it's his job to tell people that... smh....

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Oh my goodness! Lots of people are going to be startled when they find that their meaties have keeled over and died before their "6th month butcher age"! Either that, or they'll think they're sick when their legs start giving out :/
    Hopefully the folks shopping at TSC do their own research before or shortly after they buy chicks from them!
    Nikki

8. daniel rainey

daniel rainey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    thats a silkie alright

9. FuryanGoddess

FuryanGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    PA
    This is all crazy. My TSC ppl all know their stuff. I got 6 chicks off them last year and then 6 more this year.. BR, ST run. Bllahh. I'm pretty sure I got at least 1 roo, anywhoo... I don't have 'kids' working at TS, they're all adults and seem to really know what they're talking about. the one girl even said about the cornish, and I was like.. I know the poor things are gonna get eaten and she was like yeah, cause if you don't butcher them, they'll pretty much eat themselves to death. I didn't know that.

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    that one looks like a non crested non bearded silkie (it will more than likely have a very tiny crest)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by