Am I a Silver Ameracauna?

CARLOTTA

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
This chick is one of four recently hatched out what I was told is a Australorp. I am not sure what the original mom was but I have some pictures. From what I see it resembles a Silver Ameraucana.

this is the chick in question - the 3 others look like mom and dad as chicks internet picture

mom dad

this is grandma with mom, dad and the other 9 siblings

Although your chick is super cute, unless both parents are pure Ameraucana it's not an Ameraucana. From the pictures you provided it doesn't have Ameraucana traits. Here is a link to show you what an Ameraucana and their chicks should look like and also the difference between Ameraucanas/Araucanas and Easter Eggers which I also don't think your chick is. http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html Hopefully soon someone will be able to help pinpoint what breed your chick really is. Smile
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

In order for any bird to be a specific breed, it's parents both have to be that breed. Dog analogy: if you breed a lab to a lab, the puppies are labs. If you breed a lab to a shepherd, the puppies are mixed breeds. If you breed a mixed breed to a mixed breed, it's a mixed breed. You can't get a lab by breeding a shepherd to a Rottweiler.

The rooster you show looks to be mixed, and the hen could be an Aussie but the body shape looks off.

Your chick doesn't look like an Ameraucana. They have dark/slate colored legs, pea combs and beard/muffs. Its' a cute mixed breed bird.

one thing to remember is that you have chicken color and breed. for example, Buff orpington, lavendar orpington, black orpington. They are all orpingtons, that is the breed. Buff, lavendar and black refer to the color. so you did your homework and matched the chick with the most similar breed and color. So your chick might be silver in color but is defintately not a americuana.

but cross bred chicks are the funnest to raise anyway. you never know what colors and traits are going to pop up.

this is a brown leghorn X with a cuckoo Maran. she is a great layer and super friendly and in my opinion my prettiest hen.

Your chick looks a lot like my chicks that have a purebred Ameraucana Mom bred to a 1/2 Ameraucana and 1/2 Rhode Island Red Dad. The reason I'm certain on the breeds involved in my chick is because I had the Dad's parents too, hatched him myself, and I got the Mom from a breeder not a farm store. Here is a picture of one of my chicks, I'll send you some pics of what they look look like at various stages if you are interested. Your chick will be called an "Easter Egger" or EE for short because she's a mix that includes ameraucana and or araucana somewhere in her lineage and can potentially lay blue, green, brown or even pinkish eggs. You just won't know until she lays her first one.

Your chick looks a lot like my chicks that have a purebred Ameraucana Mom bred to a 1/2 Ameraucana and 1/2 Rhode Island Red Dad. The reason I'm certain on the breeds involved in my chick is because I had the Dad's parents too, hatched him myself, and I got the Mom from a breeder not a farm store. Here is a picture of one of my chicks, I'll send you some pics of what they look look like at various stages if you are interested. Your chick will be called an "Easter Egger" or EE for short because she's a mix that includes ameraucana and or araucana somewhere in her lineage and can potentially lay blue, green, brown or even pinkish eggs. You just won't know until she lays her first one.
No offense, but the OP's bird doesn't look to have any Ameraucana or EE heritage. Those are pics of the parents and neither one is an Easter egger or Ameraucana. Plus, her chick has yellow legs and looks to have a straight comb. It's simply a mixed breed chick.

Juvenile plumage can be misleading, lots of chicks look similar at this point but feather out differently as they mature.

Back
Top Bottom