Am I a slacker...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jonbanks, Oct 16, 2008.

1. jonbanks

jonbanks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    i built my pullets a nice coop. I feed the twice a day when im home and when my wife is alone she feeds once. (due to a fireman schedule) I dont give my chickens vaccines. I have used starter feed but now that i have mixed ages, I use laying feed for everyone. I only clean coop once a week, so you know it gets pretty nasty ine there. and i mix different aged pullets together and the young ones have to be tough to survive. All of my chickens are strong and growing amazingly. no diseases. nothin so am i wrong or is there alot of over protective chicken owners here. lol no offense to anyone. MY grandparents said when they were kids the chickens took care of themselvs.

2. jonbanks

Aug 12, 2008
    anyone?

3. ChandlersChickens

ChandlersChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
    How many do you have? I don't even clean my coop once a week but I only have 2 at the moment. I wouldn't say you're a slacker....you do work for a living. There are times that I don't even go out to check on my chickens except to shut the coop at night. Mine have plenty of food to last them for a week. They will survive.
    My dad was raised on a chicken farm and I think he would agree with you. The chickens will take care of themselves.

4. jonbanks

Aug 12, 2008
    i have a total of eight chickens i have 5 rhode isl reds and 3 ee s

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't see an issue with the vaccines. There are a lot of people who don't vaccinate their chickens. I personally don't see a need to, unless you plan on showing the birds in the fair or taking them someplace that they will be exposed to a lot of other chickens or birds. I also don't see any issue with cleaning the coop once a week! I think that is pretty good if you are using mulch or something on the floor. If not, try adding mulch to the coop and it will help cut down on the upkeep for you. You might also consider adding some large feeders to your coop so that the chickens won't have to go hungry or without feed. Just a few suggestions to help you out. [​IMG]

6. jonbanks

Aug 12, 2008
    thanks

7. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* "Sometimes, you feel like a nut-- sometimes, you don't!!" Some people do little special for/with their chickens and "never" have a problem. Some do have problems. Same for the "spoilers", they can be careful, not have problems or have them regardless. (shrug!)

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't think you're a slacker. I have lots of time to spend with my chooks now that I'm not working. They've helped me make the adjustment to retirement a little easier.
    My SO works 4 - 10 hours shifts. I don't get as much time to spend with the chickens when the BIG roo is home.

9. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    You sound like you run things a lot like we do. Our 10 girls seem to do fine, so I see no reason to change. We even keep a large feeder and waterer in the coop so they only need to be fed/watered every couple of days (although we check food & water each day to make sure everything is ok). We have never done vaccines, and so far so good! I give them treats most days, but only if I'm home from work in time. If you're a slacker than so am I!

10. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I agree with the others...y.a.n.a.s. (you are not a slacker). However, I also agree with the ones who suggested a large feeder and waterer for them. I think having food available 24/7 makes for happier chickens. JMHO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by