Am I a Wyandotte Cross??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tartannik, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Tartannik

Tartannik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    Hi guys, just wonder what you think my little girlie might be! I went for a cream leg bar, but then said I really wanted a blue egg layer so didn't really mind.
    I think she is a wyandotte X but what would she be crossed with?? She certainly does lay blue/green eggs and I think she is gorgeous!
    Meet Mairi-Ann
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    She could be a Legbar cross or just a poor example of the breed. I am not sure what colors they come in other than the browns, but she lacks the top knot, obviously. I don't see anything about her to indicate Wyandotte though. There are plenty of blue breeds out there. If she is laying blue then their must be some Legbar or Ameraucana in her, but with the comb, the white lobes, the yellow legs, I would go with the Legbar blood.

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:She would have a rose come and probably a bit more plumped if she was crossed with a SLW. But being in the US and not knowing what all breeds you all have where you are, it would be hard to help. As we dont have Cream Legbars yet unless Greenfire Farms has imported them already.

4. Tartannik

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    I think we have most colours of wyandotte here but i am not sure. The only reason i thought she might be wyandotte cross was the pattern on her feathers.
    I think i person i bought her from had been playing about with breeds to see what laid the best coloured egg and as he had wyandottes there i just thought that maybe she had a wee bit in her!! She isn't all legbar certainly as she doesn't have the 'pompom' but a 'normal' comb!

5. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    No wyandottes have rose combs like someone else said. She is very pretty though.

6. Tartannik

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    Quote:Thank you!!

7. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

could a blr wyandotte with poor type and a single comb. those do pop up on occasion

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Definitely no Wyandotte in her. She's got white earlobes, a Mediterrean body, and a single comb. [​IMG]

Her color only looks similar to blue laced red, but it isn't. It looks to me like a Blue x BBR. Looks like a Brown Leghorn X some other blue breed.

If she was part Wyandotte, she'd be fluffier, rounder, have a rose comb, (Europe doesn't have the single comb hatchery-made problems like we do) have red earlobes, and have red speckled throughout her body.

9. Tartannik

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    Thank you!! Whatever she is i love her and just to say she has minty green earlobes, same colour as her eggs, lol!!

10. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    A nice mix; maybe a mutt from EE stock (also a mutt) X with a Leghorn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by