Am I about to get my first egg!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by acw123, May 9, 2011.

1. acw123

acw123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Charlottesville
    My Australorp hen insisted on getting back in her coop after free ranging some this afternoon. She was very fussy and pacing so I let her back in thinking maybe I will finally get the first egg. I have 10 hens between the ages of 24 and 28 weeks and no eggs yet. So she immediately went right into to the next box, has rearranged all the straw so that she is now almost under it all and periodically clucks rather loud and frequently. Some of the ladies have been squatting and they have in the past few weeks really had their combs and wattles develop and redden. Will she just get up and leave the nest box after laying the egg if that is what is happening? Should I move her after a certain amount of time if she doesn't on her own to check for an egg? Help me with answers please.

2. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    Leave her alone and check back in an hour or so. If she is still there then leave her be. They don't much like being interrupted while laying.

3. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I agree, leave her alone and check back from time to time, every time you bother her you might upset her, your first eggs sounds to be very close, let us know when it comes![​IMG]

4. acw123

Mar 31, 2011
    Charlottesville
    I am so excited!! My kids are dying to go check on her too. We will wait though. Will post a pic if we get an egg!

5. cackydoodledoo

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    Quote:Please do!!!

6. acw123

Mar 31, 2011
    Charlottesville
    My Australorp lady did not dissappoint. Here is a pic of some of the ladies lounging and MY FIRST EGG!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG]

Congratulations!!! The first one is SO exciting! And then as the other girls lay their first, it's so fun to congratulate 'em for being such good girls!

I always get silly and tell 'em how cute and wonderful their eggs are. "Look at this, you did this! What a great hen you are! Keep it up, sweetie! You done good!"

They do look at me like I'm nuts, but who cares. A little bok-bok back is still heart-warming at those moments.

8. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Congrats!!!!! Isn't the first egg so exciting! Once you get the first egg you'll find yourself going into the coop looking into the nesting boxes looking for the prizes they leave every day, trust us, it never gets old. I go to the coop every day to see how many they laid that day, it's a never ending surprise. [​IMG]

9. cackydoodledoo

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    Yay!!! [​IMG] Congratulations and thanks for posting a pic!! It's always exciting when they lay an egg whether it's the first or the 400th!!

10. Justuschicks

Justuschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    Quote:Congrats from Keswick! The day I got my first egg was wonderful. Just let her do her business, she knows what she is doing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by