1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Am I allergic to my baby chicks???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redheadjamie, Apr 15, 2012.

1. redheadjamie

redheadjamie New Egg

Apr 13, 2012
    On Friday we purchased an Amerucana, a Jersey Giant, and a Tetra Tint - for the past 2 days I've been sneezing like crazy, can't breathe and am generally very miserable. Am I allergic to one or more of them??? I should mention they are all in one cage on my kitchen counter (behold my mother would KILL ME if she knew I was raising baby chickens in my kitchen) they are on kiln dried pine bedding, we change that daily and feed them often.

This is above and beyond a normal seasonal allergy reaction as pollen counts here are in the 300s.

Any ideas???

Thanks!
    Jamie

2. Island Roo

Island Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2012
    Duncan, BC
    Sound s like allergy. I get a similar reaction to the brooder which somehow landed in my workshop. Not sure if its the shavings, the food, or the chicks themselves. Or maybe just a reaction to having something cute in my workshop.
    The same thing happened last year but I don't get the reaction from our adult birds in the coop. Same shavings, different food.
    With allergies - everyone is different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by