1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Am I an ameraucana Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pbzmomma, Aug 30, 2011.

1. pbzmomma

pbzmomma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2011
    Virginia
    Hey everyone! I got this guy(i think its a rooster) He is supposed to be ameraucana. I am almost positive it is a Rooster. The only reason I question this is because he does not in the least act like a Rooster. He sounds like a hen, acts like a hen, and is not performing his Rooster Duties [​IMG] I am not sure what he is so any help would be great!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  2. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    He is not an Ameraucana, He looks like a New Hampshire or Rhode Island Red.
    Do you have another rooster in the bunch? He might not be the dom roo

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  3. pbzmomma

Aug 30, 2011
    Virginia
    He was the only Roo we had for some time but now we have another. He just was not acting like a roo at all so we have had to add antoher to our flock. Thank you. I thought he favored the Rhode island reds until I saw one at a show and he is way to light in color and his head looks slightly different. Thanks

4. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    That's not an Ameracauna roo, sorry. He's sure is gorgeous though ! [​IMG] Here's my Ameracauna roo for comparison.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. kinsey228

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
  6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:This is an ee.

The bird in the OP's picture is not an ameraucana either.

7. pbzmomma

Aug 30, 2011
    Virginia
    Oh what a lovely boy you have [​IMG] Yes mine looks nothing like him except maybe the tail will continue to grow and form like your Roo's. My neighbor thinks maybe my Roo is a cross. Yay for tractor Supply and their chicks (lol) Thanks for all you help. Its my first year with Chickens and I have to say Im fairly obsessed. I think my Fiance is ready to strangle me if I show him one more picture or make him watch our chickens for another afternoon [​IMG]

8. Karen09

Karen09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2009
    Wyoming, New York
    He is definitely a rooster - he might be slow in developing his crow and other male traits (some do not until 20 or so weeks). I agree, he is not an ameraucana! But he could be an Easter Egger (have some ameraucana in his genes) but his leg color and comb are wrong to be a true Ameraucana. I have 2 roosters and the beta rooster doesn't crow much (before he came he was crowing alot at my sister-in-laws) and he hasn't done any other dancing other otherwise around the hen. He and the alpha do want to go head to head but there is a fence between them. Good luck with your boy.

9. kinsey228

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    Quote:My hubby is the same way ! [​IMG] And he's the one who made me get chickens ! [​IMG] We started out with his limit of 6. We now have 20 Pullets and a Roo ! He works out of state for weeks at a time, and since he's been gone this time, 4 new pullets seem to have found there way into the coop. hahahaha. I wonder if he'll notice !

10. pbzmomma

Aug 30, 2011
    Virginia
    He is 22 weeks old [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by