Am I an Easter Egger?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aschassberger, Aug 16, 2010.

1. aschassberger

aschassberger Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    This little girl was sold to me (today) as an easter egger, but she looks so different from my other one... I guess the tail is throwing me off... do you all think she is really an easter egger? I'm very new to chickens, looking for others opinions. She is in the carrier to slowly get acquainted with the other girls (5 different breeds, all 8 weeks old and about twice her size). I am worried about putting her in with them, I've heard it's best to put her in the coop at night while everyone is sleeping... any other advise you can give me on introducing a new chicken to the flock? Thanks in advance!

This is walnut
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    She looks just like my Easter Egger, and they all look a little different from eachother. That is the fun of Easter Eggers - like a box of chocolate, you never know what you're going to get. Let the other girls see her for a few days before putting her in there to see how they react to her. Since there is such a size difference, it may not go well until they are closer in size. If they do not let her join the flock, you may need to get her a friend that is her size so she isn't too lonely as she grows up.

3. aschassberger

Jan 4, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Thank you, I forgot to add that she came from a hatchery as an easter egger - her tail is just cracking me up though! It looks so funny! And I didn't realize how much smaller she was till she was next to mine. I don't have anywhere else to put her until she gets bigger. :-( I think I'll put her in tonight and watch her VERY closely tomorrow and if there's a problem I'll take her back out. The lady I got her from had another older pullet - maybe she would trade me for the bigger one. I'll have to see. Thank you!

4. CCFarms9559

CCFarms9559 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Jeffersontown, Ky
    I have two EE's that look just like her. Got them at the end of March - still waiting on green/blue eggs. I have heard (on here) that EE's start laying late compared to other chicks. Anyhow - she's as cute as she can be!

5. aschassberger

Jan 4, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    here's a pic of the size difference
    [​IMG]

she's laying down in the cage, so she looks even smaller. but maybe she'll be ok, I don't know. She is a cutie though, that tail gives her some flair, lol.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by