Am I asking for trouble? (chicks in with the big girls)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by babsh, May 7, 2009.

1. babsh

babsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have 8 silkie chicks being raised by a momma silkie. I separated her while she was brooding, but a few days after the chicks hatched, we let them join the flock. They seem delighted to be in the big run and stick close to mom. Every once in awhile, I have witnessed one of our Sebrights peck either one of the babies or mom (mom is near bottom of pecking order). When this happens, the mom fluffs up and the Sebright walks away. It doesn't go on and on, but it does make me nervous.

I put them with the rest of the flock, because several people here said it was OK. But when I asked a question on another forum, a few people seemed shocked they were with the "big girls" and said I should separate them.

So........which is it? Am I just asking for trouble by having them all together? The babies are 1 week old and at night, we bring them all into the house. So at this point, they are not sleeping together. But they spend all day in the run (which is big- over 500 sq. ft- total of 9 adult chickens).

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I don't think there is a definitive answer for you. Chickens are individuals. But it sounds like it is working for now, that they are just doing normal pecking order stuff, and hopefully that will continue. In the end, you have to choose, of course. Believe I would continue as you are doing if I were in your shoes, but I tend to let them sort things out if possible.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. Every situation is different and unique. What works for someone else may not work for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by