Am I Asking For Trouble

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Euphemia, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Euphemia

Euphemia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2013
    I received a text today from a woman who wants me to re-home what appears to be an older India Blue Male. He has been wandering a neighborhood in a nearby town for over three years. He is feed by all the neighbors. My question is, am I asking for trouble bringing an older male to my farm. I have a breeding pair of India's. I have only had them about three months. I kept them inside a large outbuilding for two months. They are now free ranging and have taken up around my front porch. They have been displaying for about a week now and I am not sure if the deed has been done yet. Seems as if the male may not be to experienced at doing the deed, or perhaps I am not to experienced at how the whole breeding ritual works! I do not want upset the balance of power right now. I also don't want the poor old guy wandering the urban streets. I could put him up for several months in the same large housing. I would buy more breeding hens if I could find them, but they are few and far between in my area. Any advise would be appreciated.

2. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    I don't think so. You will have to contain the new bird for a while anyway, so he shouldn't interfere with your pair.

3. I agree with Trefoil. You are going to have to home him for a while. You should not have a problem after that.

4. Euphemia

Euphemia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2013
    Thanking you both for your advise! It is a real joy to have input from those who have so much more knowledge. I said in a previous post here that I jumped into this peafowl thing without doing enough reading, but I just could not help myself. I am glad I did, because I am loving every minute of it.

I will put him up in the house I had the pair in for at least a month or until the pair has a chance to breed. I hope I will be able to buy some hens in the mean time so both the boys will have a few to choose from next breeding season. If the old man still has it in him!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by