Am I being cheap or frugal?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by jbowyer01, Oct 20, 2009.

1. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    My DH and I are going to visit my son in St. Charles, Missouri this weekend for his birthday (He goes to school at Lindenwood Unniversity on a football scholarship and we will be there from friday to monday). I got a wonderful deal on a hotel room and have been able to budget enough funds for gas and to take our son out for a nice dinner for his birthday with maybe a little extra for shopping (I am the only one working, my Dh is fighting for his VA disability). I really do not want to pay a fortune for going out to dinner the other two nights and I am not a fastfood fan, so I am taking my crockpot and some groceries (enough for two dinners). My son is thrilled because he'll get a homecooked type of meal. The hotel we are staying at has kitchenettes but the price jumped extensively to stay in one of those rooms, so I am sneaking in the crockpot. My mother says I am being cheap and I should just suck it up and go out to eat. Sooo I thought I'd get everyones opinions...what do you think, am I being cheap or frugal?

2. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    Frugal!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

frugal. Go for it, honey!

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

FRUGAL. And smart too. Who cares if you use a crockpot on vacation! I always take my cooking stuff with me. I don't mind eating out here and there, but it gets expensive and isn't always all that good!

5. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    frugal!!!!

6. cmjust0

cmjust0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    Frugal...and making a healthier choice, actually. [​IMG]

7. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    I think it is a wonderful idea!

8. lorrir

lorrir Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Upstate SC
    Me and my DH always travel with our coffee pot. When we fly I take the percolator.

FRUGAL!

When my boys were younger I used a crockpot so much I had to replace it every 6 mos. I was always able to supply a hot meal for them when they got home from school. Most of the time I did not get home til after 6pm. When my youngest was about 12 he asked if we could eat from the stove like all the other families.[​IMG]

Our favorite recipe: A small bag of dried beans (any kind) a chunk of ham or ham bone, a chopped onion, salt and pepper. The DH will make a paste out of his and eat it like a dip with tortilla chips

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  9. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Frugal - especially since your son is on board!

And have fun in St. Charles. I'm just across the river in Illinois!

10. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Definitely frugal, and wonderfully so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by