Am I being mean to my roosters?

Springthing

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
SW Missouri
In with the hens we had two RIRs, both turned out to be roosters. Once I found out they were roos they got lucky that I didn't decide to process them right away - I don't think our neighbors would take too kindly to the incessant cock-a-doodle-doos. Instead, we just separated them from the hens and let them out of the run, to free range.

They are not quite full grown (I couldn't tell you how many weeks they are..I didn't keep track) but have already started the neck stretching, ruffled neck feathers, jumping on each other, etc etc.

My questions:

Is it mean to keep them out of the run? They have roosts at nighttime that are about 3 feet off the ground, they have the whole yard and some woods to run or fly into if they need to, they have food, water, etc.

Is there anything wrong with keeping two roos if they have plenty of space to get away from each other if they need? I'm not sure what the rule of thumb is on keeping roos together.

Thanks in advance!

ST

I have the same thing going on with my chickens. I hatched them all and did this test to find out if they were hens or not and i came out as all hens. Now im finding out I actully only have one hen and the rest are roosters. I don't thats being mean at least I hope not because I'm doing everything similar to you. Hope this helped.
smile.png

Would it be mean if I put my rooster at night like in the garage or back patio to keep him from crowing early in the morning like before the sun comes up.

Your roosters probably love to free range during the day. Don't they still crow even when they are out side or do they just crow further away from your neighbors house?

With 3 foot tall roosts they are very vulnerable to predators at night. Chickens have terrible night vision and they go into a kind of stupor when they go to sleep, so they wouldn't be able to escape an attack. The chicken's wild ancestors could fly well enough to roost high in the trees under the cover of foliage. Processing them might be a more merciful death than an attack by a predator.

The roosters may very well not fight each other at all since they were raised together.

I raised 13 chickens together and five turned out to be roosters. The boys did not fight each other, but they did over mate the hens, we were attached to them so we built a bachelor coop. We have enough space so no one is bothered by their crowing.

Quote:
I don't think it would be mean to have him roost in a kennel in the garage. He would probably get used to the routine of being put to bed pretty quick especially if you gave him a few treats, and they settle down really quickly once they are in the dark.

I think I ran across your post on the training chickens thread where you said you trained your rooster not to crow. After that folks wanted to know how you did it. But I am sure first thing in the morning is a challenge.

Last edited:
Yes it is. And that training last for 3 days after that it was all over. He said to heck with thid training bit and now he is showing us who is boss. He crows really early in the morning before the sun comes up, no good

Back
Top Bottom