Am I being over protective?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by beejentl, Aug 25, 2010.

1. beejentl

beejentl Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Vacaville CA
    It is 101 right now in Vacaville CA and is supposed to get up to 107. I was watching my girls in the back yard. They have shade and were laying under the coop panting away in the heat. I felt so sorry for them that I put them in the dog crate and brought them in the house so they could be in the air conditioning. They have a towel to lay on and their food and water inside the kennel.
    My husband loves the chickens but says I am being ridiculous. He says they are farm animals and should be used to being outside in a variety of temperatures. Am I being too soft? Should I put them back outside or keep them in until it cools down? Any thoughts on this are appreciated!
    Thanks!!

2. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Bringing them in and out is going to be worse for them than leaving them outside -- the shock isn't good.

But there's no reason not to make them more comfortable out there! Give them milkjugs full of ice to sit against, put up a barn fan (where they can't touch it!), give them plenty of fresh water. They're uncomfortable because it's hard to shed heat in those temperatures, so do what you can to make it easier.

3. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I've never brought ours in (21 of them. lol) but I do freeze water in old butter containers and go out and put them in their waterers on hot days. I've also watered down a patch and even misted the few that came over investigating what I was going. They seemed to enjoy it. A fan would be good if there's no breeze, too.

4. tabbitha1000

tabbitha1000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    I spray mine down with the hose every few hours. They dig a nice cool patch in the wet dirt to lay in for awhile too. [​IMG]

5. beejentl

May 27, 2010
    Vacaville CA
    Thanks so much for all your advice and ideas!! I am going to implement all of them!!!

Appreciate it!
    Brooke

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
  7. beejentl

May 27, 2010
    Vacaville CA
    Great article Elmo!
    Thanks!

8. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    I've been buying the big bags of frozen peas and carrots and opening one or two of those a day and tossing them out to the ladies (while still frozen).

9. beejentl

May 27, 2010
    Vacaville CA
    Oooooh boogiedog, that is a neat idea!!

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I keep a sprinkler on for them in the real hot weather... (they don tlike it..but it really cools down the run area..)
    I also lay out pans of ice cubes.. they sometimes stand in them and drnk the cold water..
    I also feed them frozen fruit.. I but a watermelon or cantelope and slice it up and freeze it..
    Also..frozen corn on the cobb... freeze some yogurt..they like that too..
    I also use a fan in the coop sometimes..
    But the MOST important things are.. GOOD SHADE and plenty of cool water for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by